• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Look What I found

napa 1

Donation Time
The tray yes, but the latch mechanism no.
While I completely and happily defer to your knowledge and experience on all things Alpine, it would appear then that this unrestored original car has been repainted at some point as the entire tray and latch mechanism is painted to match the car. What gives?

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
While I completely and happily defer to your knowledge and experience on all things Alpine, it would appear then that this unrestored original car has been repainted at some point as the entire tray and latch mechanism is painted to match the car. What gives?

I called Ian about this to compare notes about cars we've seen over the years. He did have an all-original 14,000 mile Series II years ago and it did have the entire area painted over. Also, the 8,000 mile Series I George Lacy race car that he recently bought does have the entire area painted over.
However, we've both seen plenty of Series I and II Alpines that are not. So if you watch MythBusters I'd say this one is "plausible". We theorized that when they switched production plants in late Series II production they went to painted tray / non-painted latch mechanism? Series 3 and later did NOT have a painted over latch mechanism.

Just means more mysteries to be solved for our "definitive" book! :)

napa 1

Donation Time
Thanks for the info Scott. I'm getting prepared to send the Le Mans in to be painted and wondered if I should install the whole operation and have it painted if that was more correct. Otherwise I think it makes more sense for it not to be painted since the paint would be subject to a beating on opening and closing the bonnet.

65beam

Donation Time
bonnet latch

my first series 1 that i bought in the seventies was an original car . it had an unpainted latch . car number : B9007240 it has the vin plate printed in french .

napa 1

Donation Time
Sounds like either configuration on the latch could be considered correct. I think I'll go with unpainted. thanks for all the input.

Love the Sebring Photo Scott.