• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lighter

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
In case you see something on eBay that claims to be the correct knob it may be just a reasonable facsimile.
The picture on the left is out of a Jensen Healy . It is a Casco heating element with a plastic knob. The one on the right is a vintage Sunbeam/Jaguar E-Type unit. I believe the Jaguar ones actually had a lighted hole so you could find it at night :)
I believe someplace I saw a exact measurement of the washer or escutcheon like piece underneath for you crafty type who have a small lathe.
The other difference is the early Jag one is bakelite.

Attachments

• IMG_20200920_091435.jpg
    IMG_20200920_091435.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 42

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yes the sunbeam lighter has the champhered chrome collar.

Thete is a rather unscrupulous seller on ebay who over the years has a habbit of faking the sunbeam lighter with various parts including using knobs from the washer plungers and other parts and dodges accountability by implying its the correct lighter but dodging saying "it is" incase the buyer wises up after

alpine_64

Donation Time
@Kevin

I note in your " notes" on the drawing its says dark brown/ black plastic.

100% they were black... Like all the other period Bakerlite and plastic parts ( steering cowls, door escutcheon, washer pump knobs, door hockey sticks) they go brown when exposed to UV

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
They actually look a little speckled but it's kind of hard to tell on the photo. The steering column cover will look that way too when it gets nice and sunbleached. I remember seeing your drawing someplace Kevin nice work.

mikephillips

Donation Time
That comes apparently from the fact that Bakelite plastic used a wood flour as part of the formula from what I've read. Sometimes a "dye" like used to restore antique fountain pen Bakelite will return the original color. I tried one from a company called Pemerton for one of the cowls. Takes some practice but several coats and a light buff gave it I thought better than painting it.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, I wrote “brown/black” on the drawing because it really depends if you’re going for a “like new” appearance or if you’re going for a “in service unit” appearance. Since 3D printed plastic won’t age like Bakelite, if I were making it I’d probably opt for the dark brown look to mimic an “in service” knob.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
As for restoration of Bakelite, I’ve posted this before but my solution is to rub the part down with 0000 bronze wool, then use black shoe polish to restore the finish. Comes up like new and stays that way for quite a while.