• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lets not let this get away

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
That's pricey ! Maybe we can all chip in, but where would it go ? I can donate $20.. anyone else ?

Tom J

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Alpine Photos

Hi guys:
I will give it a go, if I win them I will put a large display backdrop together for the club to display during the Invasion (should be cool).
The club could also make smaller copies for members that join in during the Invasion. Just some ideas guys!
Regards,
Andrew

P.S. I will have to see if they will accept a bid from Ontario, Canada and ship to my location.
It will be good to see what the cost will be to ship!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Andrew: If they won't ship them to Canada, I can give you the address of my comany's office in the UK. We could have them shipped there and I'd ask a colleague to carry them back for us.

Good luck.

Jim

Andrew

Donation Time
Hi Jim:
Yes, sounds like a plan.
Please forward me the address in a private message or email me direct.
I will make sure to keep you informed.
Now all we need is to have them accept a bid from overseas.
Thanks Jim.
Regards,
Andrew

skywords

Donation Time
Andrew
I will chip in 100 US if needed. I feel it is important to the club. These are very rare photos and drawings we will not find again. They come from a Rootes Engineer. I think they will go for a very high amount. The auction says ship worldwide so an off shore bid is no problem. I would pay with Pay Pal.
PM me if you need my funds. Good luck and I hope others will chip in also. Thanks Guys for picking up on this so quickly.

Rick

Andrew

Donation Time
Chipping in!

Hi Rick:
First of all I don’t think I should receive money in this regard. If anyone wishes to chip in for the purchase, payment should be made to the club as a donation (I do not want to be looking after funds etc.).
I will talk to Scott about this! (I do not wish to keep the photos for myself; I only wish to use them to make a backdrop for club events so that everyone can enjoy the images).
I will keep you informed.
Regards,
Andrew

Andrew
I will chip in 100 US if needed. I feel it is important to the club. These are very rare photos and drawings we will not find again. They come from a Rootes Engineer. I think they will go for a very high amount. The auction says ship worldwide so an off shore bid is no problem. I would pay with Pay Pal.
PM me if you need my funds. Good luck and I hope others will chip in also. Thanks Guys for picking up on this so quickly.

Rick

Tullamore

Donation Time
So if I want to have a copy of these pictures I will have to bid against you since you will not post them for all to see?

Andrew

Donation Time
I think the club should own the photos. The club could make any number of copies they wish and sell them to members that wish to have a copy. It would be nice to think that the club could have the original photos for members to see. Who knows maybe the club could make a little on them to help out with future events so that we can all have fun with our cars!
(or better yet to help pay for the purchase of the photos)

(I would just hate to bid on the item when club is trying to make a purchase for everyone.)

Bid on them if you wish as it is an auction and the idea of this fellow posting them on ebay is to strive for the best price for the items.
In the end I hope the fellow is happy with the sale of his photos, a very nice collection!

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew

Donation Time
photo purchase

Hi gang:

I think I will leave this up to the club officials. After reading the post from Steve, the last think I want is to start up something that is going to leave a foul taste in someones mount or to have anyone think that I am out for myself.

Regards,
Andrew

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm getting late into this but just to clear up any confusion - Andrew was going to broker the deal on behalf of the club - If he won the auction he was going to make high res copies of the photos in order to make displays we could use at club functions, then sell the originals to the club to recover his money.

Once we had the photos in our possession we were going to discuss our options, for example, putting out high quality reproductions for sale, suitable for framing. I'd also like to incorporate these into the book Ian Spencer and I are writing on the Alpine.

I would propose this - let's let Andrew win this auction with the above understanding, and if you'd like to help defray the cost of the club purchasing the originals from Andrew, you can donate using the club's paypal account.

DO NOT SEND ANYTHING yet - let's see if he wins it first, then we look at donations.

So far the auction is around $110 for 11 photos and 2 drawings - that's less than $10 per item so at this rate it's a steal.

Go Andrew!

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Have the seller donate them to the club and use it as a write off!
OK, wishful thinking, neat photo's though. Would love to see them up close.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor

If Andrew wins the originals will be on display at the Invasion in September, along with blown up versions on display, also at the Invasion.

S

Steve Kirk

The seller is in England so this could not be used a tax write off.

Lets get these photographs. Go for it Andrew.

Tullamore

Donation Time
I just want to make sure that everyone will have a chance to see the pictures, many people cannot make the invasions as they are held in far away places.

I think a promise of low res versions be made available for free on the website to everyone if you are going to encourage people to not bid on the items.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just want to make sure that everyone will have a chance to see the pictures, many people cannot make the invasions as they are held in far away places.

I think a promise of low res versions be made available for free on the website to everyone if you are going to encourage people to not bid on the items.

Absolutely - one of my goals is to get all images within our collections up on the website, so naturally these would be posted.

skywords

Donation Time
I am in agreement with all said. The main thing is that the club get these and all can benefit. I meant no wrong by offering the 100 US and have no intention of bidding these myself. Go Andrew and Scott:)

Rick

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm glad I saw this thread in time as I was planning to bid aggressively to WIN these photos & drawings. Am I to understand that someone (Andrew, Scott, SAOCA) will make quality reproductions availible to buy? If so, I'll yield my bidding to Andrew. Please win.

Good luck, Mark ..... volvoguys

Final thought - Perhaps someone can contact the seller on behalf of the SAOCA and tell him that club wants the photos for the archives . He may well be a generous chap and be willing to accept a BIN offer to support the heritage of the marque. Wouldn't hurt to try.

napa 1

Donation Time
Agreed, the club should own these for the benefit of the club and its members. I will certainly help defray the cost to the club if auction is won, as I'm sure the club leaders will make them available to all of us the best way possible. This is also another argument for having the club dues at a point where the club would have some purchasing power to grab items such as these when they become available..its in all of our best interest.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Forum,

Those pictures are a big part of Alpine history, but I believe they would be better placed at the Rootes archive centre with alot of other historical documents, etc. This way other clubs can have access as well as just this club. Make copies by all means, but I believe the rightful place is the archive centre.