• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

leaking oil back of head

mikefuller2

Donation Time
I just noticed a large oil leak in my alpine VI with the 1600. It looks like it is coming from back of the head. The head gasket was replaced by a shop I no longer use a couple years ago and I have had to replace almost everything the touched. The car has only had 10 -12 miles put on it while body work was finished. I took the value cover off and I can see the head gasket might not be lined up correctly in the back where the leak is. I can see it is overlapping in some areas. So I am thinking it has been miss aligned

I am thinking I am going to pull the head and replace the head gasket. does that sound like I am on the right track?

and any other suggestions?

thanks
Mike

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I just noticed a large oil leak in my alpine VI with the 1600. It looks like it is coming from back of the head. The head gasket was replaced by a shop I no longer use a couple years ago and I have had to replace almost everything the touched. The car has only had 10 -12 miles put on it while body work was finished. I took the value cover off and I can see the head gasket might not be lined up correctly in the back where the leak is. I can see it is overlapping in some areas. So I am thinking it has been miss aligned

I am thinking I am going to pull the head and replace the head gasket. does that sound like I am on the right track?

and any other suggestions?

thanks
Mike

Not terribly likely.
Does the engine run?
The HG is aligned by the head studs into very close fitting holes in the HG.
You can put it upside down but you really cant mis-align it.

The upper tappet side corners do need sealed so those gaps dont leak.

Some UV dye and a UV light would tell you where the oil comes from (if it runs).
For oil coming from the rear of the motor, my first guess would be the cam plug.
The rocker cover gaskets are known to shrink and break.
The side cover plate could be leaking at the rear too.
There there are some oil gallery screw in plugs that could be leaking.
There there is the rear crank scroll seal.

Last edited:

mikefuller2

Donation Time
oil leak

Thanks it does run. I wiped it all down and started it again. Their is very little oil coming out while it runs. After I shut it down it seems to be coming out of the rear where the block meets the head the side where the push rods are. I also noticed it is starting to have a little more white smoke when I reave it up.

mikefuller2

Donation Time
rear head bolt loose

I went a head and took off the value cover and pulled the rocker shaft. The rear bolt is loose. it looks like the bolt might be stripped. Can I pull the head and re tap the thread or is there a lot more to do?

mikefuller2

Donation Time
no more oil leak

FYI I wanted to thank everyone for the insight. I did have 2 head bolds striped out. I think whoever put the head on before me did not have a torque wrench. I replaced the head gasket and used a helicoil for the treads and it does not leak anymore. I also noticed it runs much better and no longer smokes. It was not to hard just with florida heat makes it slow.:)

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I replaced the head gasket and used a helicoil for the treads and it does not leak anymore.
Congratulations on the repair, good job!
That was a pretty serious mistake by the previous owner. Sounds like another hack-jobber mentality at work.
Jan