• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Le Mans Alpine

alpine_64

Donation Time
george, are you reffering to "Harrington LeMans" fastbacks.. or how many indvidual alpines were buiolt by rootes to run in the 24hours between 1961-63?

agmason

Donation Time
You may be referring to the Alpine that won the Index Of Performance at Le Mans in 1961. That car was a fastback with covered headlights and only one was built. It still exists in the UK.

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
racing Alpines not the fast backs
In 1961 3001RW was the only Alpine (3000RW was the Harrington)
In 1962 three cars were prepared, 9201RW, 9202RW and 9203RW but just 9202RW and 9203RW took part in the race.
In 1963 two cars participated 9201RW and 9202RW.
In all, four Alpines were race prepared for the Le Mans.
9201RW, 9202RW and 9203RW were Kamm tailed converted at Harrington Ltd.
See the site.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks, my reason was years ago a Alpine that looked like the Le mans cars was in a guys back yard , I could have got the car but I thought that someone had modifed it and did not think anymore about it till now, but that car got crushed about 15 years ago Oh Well!!!:cool:

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
George,
Do you remember if the rear was Kammtailed or was it a normal Alpine with fins? You see, 9202RW has been missing for many years.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
George,

Was this car nearby you in the Carolina's? If so, I can tell you more details...

Sadly, it did go to the crusher... it was the only Alpine that had ever run IMSA events. Creed Smith raced it but according to Creed he bought it as a race car from somebody in Bayonne, NJ in 1966 (approx) which isn't too far from the Rootes Warehouses/distribution. I have wondered if it was one of the 1961 Sebring cars - I don't think it was but there is really a strange twist to the story which is too long to delve into.

I have always wondered about that car. Write me.
milano164 at comcast.net
... I'd love to exchange details particularly if you were able to view the car in person. I have some great photos of it racing.

Steve Silverstein

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
.... BTW... yes, it would have been a really cool car to own. I could just picture going to one of those IMSA reunions and pulling up next to one of those Porsche 962's.... :D

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The car did have fins and a standard Alpine rear section. I do remember the car had OD on it as well.:cool: When I talked to the guy who toed it off he said it was crushed.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Attached is the JPG of Creed's car. According to his Creed's cousin his father wanted it out of the yard. They sent it to the junkyard. Typically they'd run at VIR and other tracks in the area - maybe Roebling Road or even Halls, TN. THe one photo I saw of it the track was the IMSA event at Charlotte in 1970.

Nice car... would be nice to know more about it and who Creed had bought it from in Bayonne.

Attachments

• Photographsm.jpg
    Photographsm.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 48