• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Late SIV Wiring

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK, so I am a little stumped. I have a late SIV auto with square doors and bonnet, round boot. The WSM calls for brown and blue feeds from the control box to the ign switch and headlamp switch. I have only brown and the DPO has wired the lights to run off the ignition switch(bad). I believe I have a wiring issue.. brown from control box A1 lug power to ign..no power to lamps.
The turn indicator is always on, but blinks when in use. No high-beam indicator power to blue light. I am about to replace the whole thing before trying to sort out the issues, so..is there a transition loom from SIV to SV, and has anyone ever encountered the discrepancies in colors of the wires?
The harness may not be original, but is for sure Rootes.
Thanx, Kevin

agmason54

Donation Time
late S4 wiring

Kevin
On the control box A1 show a brown and blue wire that powers the light switch.A1 on the control box shows another brown and blue wire going right to the ignition switch and then one more brown and blue wire going to the map light from the igntion switch. It seems to me that someone used the map light wire to power headlight switch instead of the map light.I would guess that the fuse box has some wires in the wrong place also to make the turn signal switch be hot all the time. That fact that brown and blue wires power both the headlights and the map but from two different sources would confuse anyone standing on their head
good luck
Agm

mikephillips

Donation Time
At some point in early 65 the series IV harness changed and I've never seen this reflected in the workshop documentation. Basically, it went to the soon to be series V harness but with a generator circuit rather than an alternator. So use the series V wiring diagram and the series IV diagram for the connections to the generator and control box. I had to figure this out when rewiring mine as the new harness matched the old but didn't match the series IV information in all the books I had. Once I compared to a series V it made sense.

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanx Mike, I kinda figured that was the case.
Like I said before there are no brown and blue wires in the SIV WSM, but I did hope the SV was the same with said changes for dynamo.

agmason54

Donation Time
SIV wiring....

Kevin
My manual shows 2 brown and blue wires coming from A1 on the control box

This is what the top of the page looks like

2nd re-issue------ RootesManualWSM.124
Page52 ------ Section N(Elec.Equipment)

Al

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
Al, I have the same WSM. The problem is as a late SIV, the wires are solid brown at the control box, ignition switch, and light switch. I will go with the SV book and see what happens. The DPO ran a wire and split it for the horn and lights, so I am trying to find where the break in the brown light power is..no voltage from it!
Thanx

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
:confused:So as I am digging in deeper, the battery is hooked up neg earth..no wonder the pos earth tach is not working! Refresh my memory as to what I need to switch other than battery terminals to return to pos ground please.
The main issue I am having is no power..got fuel and spark, but intermitant power. Seems as tho no fuel but it has it. Sometimes runs like a raped ape..usually barely goes down the road. Ideas anyone?

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanx Ken. I think you might be on to something! Jumper cable from block to body and it seems to run great! need to go under now and see if I have a ground strap at the trans mount...any help putting it back to pos ground?

agmason54

Donation Time
pos ground

Kevin
On my negative ground SII the other day I hooked my battery up with pos ground forgetting it is a neg ground car. The only thing different was the ammeter ran backwards.( otherwise I would have never realized I reversed the battery)
I decided to keep it postive since it had a nice red ground wire. All I did was swap the ammeter wires and that was that. Now I don't see why your can't just turn your battery around and go back to pos ground to make the tach work. In theory you are supposed to 'flash'the generator but I believe it "flashes" itself by just swapping terminals.I can't explain it any further....
Al

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanx Al, thats what I thought, and since the ammeter runs "backwards" even that will be fixed!