• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Last Piece of the Puzzle???

Mark T

Donation Time
I think that I have most of the pieces that I need to switch the C4 automatic for a T5 tranny. Thanks to Andrew I have the clutch pedal but I need everything that goes between it and the Wilwood slave cylinder. I know that I need a master cylinder, but I'm not sure what to ask for when I call Napa. I know that I need 2 1/4" spacing on the mounting bolts but are there some that work better than others? (better size, better value, better match for the Wilwood slave, etc.) Also, what else do I need? Will the master cylinder come with everything that I need to connect it to the pedal? (spring, clips, etc.) Is there anything special about the tubing needed to connect the master to the slave? Thanks!

skywords

Donation Time
May I ask why you are using a different master cylinder?

I am using the McCleod hydraulic throw out bearing and the stock 3/4" master cylinder. Its so easy. It's adjustable length and it will not over extend. I am not running a V-6 though but I am using the T-5.

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi Rick! When I bought the car it had a 2.8 with the C4 automatic transmission, so no clutch, master cylinder, etc.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
May I ask why you are using a different master cylinder?

I am using the McCleod hydraulic throw out bearing and the stock 3/4" master cylinder. Its so easy. It's adjustable length and it will not over extend. I am not running a V-6 though but I am using the T-5.
The stock master cylinder is good enough for the external pull type slave cylinder. It will over travel the fingers on the pressure plate, if you don't put a pedal stop on it though. I grenaded three clutches and pressure plates, before I found what the reason was. I used the same McCloud throw out bearing you are using, so I would suggest being careful about over travel. The throw out bearing will not go to the point that it will disassemble itself, because it has an internal ring that stops it from doing that, but the pressure plate will not take all the travel it can provide.

Jose :)

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Jose! Any idea where I can get a stock master cylinder quickly? I need to have all the parts here by the end of the week.

skywords

Donation Time
Jose
You probably just saved me a knuckle job. I will rig it per the drawing provided with the bearing. I can look through the square opening to and see it in action.

Can't say thanks enough.
Rick

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Wha'd I do wrong?

Jose,

I've read your posts about overtravel. Been driving mine for a year and a half. keep expecting the worst. I didn't do anything to prevent overtravel as mine doesn't release until I'm almost to the floor. My system doesn't leak and I have good pedal. I had a good local restoration shop drive it when I had it adjusted for Reno's altitude and they wrung the car out and didn't report anything weird about the clutch operation.

Funny story-When I picked the car up after the adjustment I asked them how they liked the car. They loved it. Except for the flat spot at 5000 rpm....

I replied "There's a flat spot at 5000? :eek: Thanks, that's good to know. Never been there myself." I was the last one to have the engine apart. Nice to know I put it back together right... :D

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jose
You probably just saved me a knuckle job. I will rig it per the drawing provided with the bearing. I can look through the square opening to and see it in action.

Can't say thanks enough.
Rick
Rick,

The reason the cylinder can over travel, is that a diaphragm clutch doesn't need very much travel in order to operate, so it is best to use a pedal stop to make sure.

Nick,

Jim Ellis didn't use a pedal stop on his Series III and promptly blew the clutch and pressure plate. I don't know why yours seems to work well without it, but I feel it is better to put a stop on it, just for a bit of insurance.

If your clutch is releasing pretty close to the floor, maybe you have a master cylinder with a smaller bore, so it doesn't displace as much hyrdaulic fluid. I have had sever other customers do the same thing with their clutches, because they didn't pay attention to my suggestions, then they wanted to blame me, saying that I hadn't told them abiut it.

Jose :)