• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Labor hours for front suspension rebuild?

Ronald Radeke

Silver Level Sponsor
How many labor hours should a shop charge for a front suspension rebuild? The suspension seems pretty solid, but some of the boots are split open, some are ragged. The bushings defanetely meed replaced.1967 S5 w/55,000 mi.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I would get in touch with Doug Jennings in Ohio. He has rebuilt many of them and upgrades them too.
A friend just took two complete crossmembers for him to do. PM me for his contact info.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would get in touch with Doug Jennings in Ohio. He has rebuilt many of them and upgrades them too.
A friend just took two complete crossmembers for him to do. PM me for his contact info.

What Eric said.

The typical auto repair shop (even a "British" shop) does not have the knowledge or tools / fixtures that are necessary to work on the Series Alpine front suspension which has several oddities and gotcha's. After 55+ years and 55,000 miles, all of the rubber parts (especially the A-arm bushings) are probably long gone and the ball joints and tie-rod ends should, at the very least, get a thorough inspection by someone who knows what to look for.

Sections F (Front Suspension) and J (Steering) of WSM-145 are very detailed and will give you an idea of what is involved with rebuilding the front end of a late Series Alpine.

https://sunbeamalpine.org/original-tech-manuals/

Last edited:

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
First I would confirm that the shop has experience and tooling to rebuildi unbeam front suspensions - if they do not I would be hesitant to use them. Also suggest the work includes dropping the crossmember out of the car, full cleaning and inspection. There are several online tech articles including reinforcing the top shock tower area that can crack (factory welding sparce). How many hours labor were you quoted? Let us know, my guess for labor hours would probably be 8-14 hours but I really don't know. The shop will need a press to R&R the A-arm bushings (and tooling to press without damaging). I do know that working on a 50 year old car is nothing but opportunity to find something else needing attention thus making one project turn into 4 or 5. I also know it takes me a month working some evenings and weekends to do this - I could not make $ as a mechanic for sure - ha.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
There is quite a bit of difference between early and late Series front suspensions. We usually take about 6-8 hours to completely strip down and rebuild a Series IV or V front suspension unit. BUT we have home made tools that help and have done it several times. Never stripped an early one.
We only ever fit original style metallastic bushes now, we don't go near the nylon replacements (don't last and way too much trouble).

You can do it yourself if you have basic tools and little mechanical knowledge. This video might be of use.

Tim R

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
He has a late "rubber bush" suspension, so the video is well covering that. Nevertheless would recommend to go to an expert as mentioned before. Costs money, but saves you a lot of time and potential errors...

P.S. Proper press tools are needed too in order to avoid damage. Have a look on just some examples here:

20230114_220824.jpg
20230114_140033.jpg
20230114_140111.jpg

Last edited:

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
You can't overlook the difficulty of dissembling the front end. Bolts are prone to snap off if not done patiently and correctly, to include the caliper, upper a-arm and especially the lower a-arm bolts. A shop can easily add multiple $100's in machine work to extract bolts they carelessly broke off.