• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Know someone in Philadelphia Area

Tomd2000

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey All,

Just recently purchased a 1967 Sunbeam V with OD. The car is in great shape, but the wiring could be improved, lots of splices etc. I'm not so sure I want to take this on myself. Can anyone recommend a shop in the Philly area that specializing in wiring?

Thanks!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tomd2000,

Welcome to the forum and Alpine ownership.

I'll start by asking if you are seeking to repair the OE harness, replace it with a reproduction harness, or maybe upgrading to an aftermarket replacement harness? Different options with different responses most likely.

Just something to think about,

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Triumph Rescue, in Bally, PA, is directly down the street from British Wiring and I believe the business are associated. In any event, being so close to British Wiring I'm certain they know their wiring. They work on all sorts of cars other than Triumphs.

Tomd2000

Silver Level Sponsor
Tomd2000,

Welcome to the forum and Alpine ownership.

I'll start by asking if you are seeking to repair the OE harness, replace it with a reproduction harness, or maybe upgrading to an aftermarket replacement harness? Different options with different responses most likely.

Just something to think about,
Hey! and thanks. I'm looking to replace with a modernized harness with a proper fuse box etc.I believe the rebel harness would work well. Currently, inline fuses have been sliced in throughout the harness. Not ideal

Tomd2000

Silver Level Sponsor
Triumph Rescue, in Bally, PA, is directly down the street from British Wiring and I believe the business are associated. In any event, being so close to British Wiring I'm certain they know their wiring. They work on all sorts of cars other than Triumphs.
Thanks I'll reach out to them!

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would like to encourage you to take this project on yourself.

if , as you say, the car is running great, that suggests that the wiring is currently stable and not troublesome. If you have a color coded harness and a good diagram, the process would be pretty straight forward. It might require buying a good tool or two, some grommets, matching colored wires, connectors, some soldering and some mild acrobatics, but this may be “plug and play”.

I, of course, do not know or understand your car and this job may well be beyond you, but assess the project and go from there.

i certainly respect the owners who loves to drive and have pride in ownership, but I see working on your own car as a way of better understanding your car ( you will get jammed up at some point) and getting more involved with a very dynamic support group— the forum.

Be well
Andrew

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Hey All,

Just recently purchased a 1967 Sunbeam V with OD. The car is in great shape, but the wiring could be improved, lots of splices etc. I'm not so sure I want to take this on myself. Can anyone recommend a shop in the Philly area that specializing in wiring?

Thanks!
Steve Shuttleton (Sunalp on the forum) sells the Rebel harness for the Alpine.
He's also incredibly helpful with any information/instruction that you need if you decide to go DIY.
He is in NY, so I'm not sure how far he is from you but he owns a classic restoration operation there.
I bought a harness from him and as a bonus got a friend. He's that kind of guy.

Tomd2000

Silver Level Sponsor
I would like to encourage you to take this project on yourself.

if , as you say, the car is running great, that suggests that the wiring is currently stable and not troublesome. If you have a color coded harness and a good diagram, the process would be pretty straight forward. It might require buying a good tool or two, some grommets, matching colored wires, connectors, some soldering and some mild acrobatics, but this may be “plug and play”.

I, of course, do not know or understand your car and this job may well be beyond you, but assess the project and go from there.

i certainly respect the owners who loves to drive and have pride in ownership, but I see working on your own car as a way of better understanding your car ( you will get jammed up at some point) and getting more involved with a very dynamic support group— the forum.

Be well
Andrew

It's always running great until it isn't ;)
I am pretty good with my hands and that thought did cross my mind. Maybe I'll reach out to Steve directly. Time is mainly my issue.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
It's always running great until it isn't ;)
I am pretty good with my hands and that thought did cross my mind. Maybe I'll reach out to Steve directly. Time is mainly my issue.
I had never done anything in a vehicle as far as wiring harnesses go. I bought the harness, had a few questions along the way, Steve helped me out, and I was back on the road. It seemed daunting at first but once I began it was easy enough to complete.

Tomd2000

Silver Level Sponsor
I had never done anything in a vehicle as far as wiring harnesses go. I bought the harness, had a few questions along the way, Steve helped me out, and I was back on the road. It seemed daunting at first but once I began it was easy enough to complete.
How long did the project take?

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Mine isn't a good effort to judge time by because I did my harness project coinciding with completely removing the interior, sealing/sound deadening the floors, rebuilding my dash and re-upholstering...all during the COVID shutdown when I had plenty of time and did not do the harness install in a straight through manner.
Once everything is out of the way, the wiring does not take that long. The removal process actually takes longer than the harness install.
I would say it could easily be done in a couple of weekends and someone who wanted to push through could do it in one.
Basically, remove the seats (4 bolts) each, disconnect the gauges, remove the dash, pull the old harness or if it's in bad enough shape, just cut and pull from the easiest location, pick a spot and install your new fusebox and relays, run your new wiring, and reinstall.

A couple of notes:
  • If you cut up the harness, keep some long runs of wire to bullet connectors. Those came in handy for me on the new installation.
  • Some remove the steering wheel but I didn't find it neccessary.
  • While your turn signal lever is out, I'd rebuild it. New soldered wire and connections.
  • While I ran the new section of harness to the rear of the car for lights, I don't believe it is necessary. Mine still pretty much looked new and I feel like if I'd just plugged it into the front section, I would have been fine.
  • There is PLENTY of length of wire for each run, giving you the option of installing your fuse box pretty much wherever you want it and routing the wires however you'd like.
  • If you decide to do it, I have a supplemental guide from the person who originally designed the harness I'll share with you.
  • There are a couple of inline fuses that you will want to install, which is covered in the instructions.