• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Just Totalled My Series II

mickjj

Donation Time
Thankfully you are OK. A similar thing happened to me with a TR7 I owned. Had just taken it out of it's winter storage and was blowing the cobwebs out when a Learner driver decided to make a left turn in front of me. The car was a right off and after an eigtheen month wait I am having surgery at the end of September on my shoulder. Again while they did right my car off the fact that it was steel I feel made a huge difference.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Eddie,

I am so happy that you didn't center punch her, so that you didn't get hurt worse. You are the most valuable one in this equation.

Since you are OK, I think you can put it back together again. The car doesn't appear to be fatally injured. I think it can be repaired.

Jose

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
Thank God your alright

Hi Eddie
I am glad your ok :).......... Someone had your back
Stephen

AlpineII

Donation Time
More info:

A couple of appraiser friends went out today to look at it. One of them actually hepled me put the Series II together. They are saying $10K CDN to set it back right, if we can find a fender, door, valance, grill and upper A to start with.

They said the control arm was ripped off so I guess I really was trying to keep control with just the drivers side wheel!

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Glad you're Ok Eddie. The pics look like things may not be a total loss. I too am interested in what State Farm does. I have 8 vehicles insured with them, as well as home owners. Goes to show you though, you have to drive these little cars like you are on a motorcycle. I often felt that way in my MGB.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Eddie

I also think it can be brought back to its former glory.Just don't rush into anything.Take your time to consider all options including who will do the repairs.

Here we had a case of a chrysler with the whole rear end demolished.They actually welded a rear portion of another chrysler on the car..It passed the safety test and finally the repair was discovered when it was hit again some years later.So be careful.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here we had a case of a Chrysler with the whole rear end demolished.They actually welded a rear portion of another chrysler on the car..It passed the safety test and finally the repair was discovered when it was hit again some years later.So be careful.

Back when I had my shop a customer delivered to us his Ferrari 330GTC (V12) that got shunted in the back... dang thing was completely crushed all the way to the rear seat... the metal was shredded and no way was it going to just pull out and get hammered back... so we put a whole new rear clip on it that I ordered custom-made from Milano*... the car went on to win First Prize in the New Hope Auto Show, and the judges never noticed that it had been cut entirely in half. I always wonder what happened to that car - we painted it in the original factory color silver-mist blue, much like the car shown below... who knows, maybe this is the one?!

*(Don't even ask how much that part cost... given my business was self-funded, let's just say I was eating macaroni and cheese and powered milk for almost a month before I finally finished the job and got paid!)

md_Ferrari_330_GTC_-_front_left_%28South_Yarra%2C_Victoria_13_Oct_07%29.JPG

md_Ferrari_330_GTC_-_rear_left_%28South_Yarra%2C_Victoria_13_Oct_07%29.JPG

Jim E

Donation Time
More info:

A couple of appraiser friends went out today to look at it. One of them actually hepled me put the Series II together. They are saying $10K CDN to set it back right, if we can find a fender, door, valance, grill and upper A to start with.

They said the control arm was ripped off so I guess I really was trying to keep control with just the drivers side wheel!

Not sure he is still fixing cars but I would contact Doug Jennings and see what he says. That way you know it is someone who knows what they are doing and has done it before.

65beam

Donation Time
series 2

the parts you need won't be that hard to find. i have an aftermarket front valance that is missing the area where the license tag bolts on. i also have fenders that were cut off a series 1 and also the doors. the fenders have some rust at the bottom. doug at tiger auto should have some body parts laying around. i was talking with him today and told him what happened to your car. he can't do the work, but you could call him about the parts you need. his number is 937 252 3317 . i know he has some upper arms that are from one of my cars but they are for a series 4 or 5.

AlpineII

Donation Time
The Series II is in the shop for a full evaluation. State Farm is having a few professional appraisers do a full write up on it. Right now they seem to appreciate all that goes into a proper restoration (I have almost 1,000 photos of the restoration work). I should have a list of what I need soon.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Eddie,

1-How are you feeling and doing, and
2-What's happening with the adjustors and your car?

AlpineII

Donation Time
Just waiting for a conversation with the adjuster today. Bottom line was the damage is estimated at $14K to repair and the appraised value of my car is $19K. The adjuster is recommeding that the car be written off. I am waiting to have a discussion on what the "salvage" price of the car is and that will decide if I take the appraised value or if we work out something where I get the appraised value minus the salvage cost and keep the car. Quite a bit of damage to the car up to and including the firewall on the passengers side being pushed back a bit, front cross member needs to be replaced, entire suspension and brakes on passengers side, inner and outer fenders, fron and rear bumpers, door and all interior workings, front frame rail, side to side rad mounting framework, rad, fan, etc, etc.

How much time and effort is needed to rebuld this thing? The $14K will probably do it but I put 7 years into restoring it the first time. I now it is basically someone else doing it this time but with a lot of involvement needed to source, buy and have parts delivered. And all of this while I am still in the build mode for the Series 3.

So what is the salvage value if I was to part it out? We started going over it last night while bending up an exhaust system for my Series 3 V6 project. There are some great parts, new windshield and triple chromed frame, drivers door, trunk, a great re-built engine with only a couple of thousand on it: over bored 30 thou, flat tops, KB grind cam, valve train all redone, lightened flywheel, vizard mod head, re-bushed zeniths, new water and oil pumps, oil cooler, etc, etc. But in all reality although they mean a lot to me the bottom line it is a lot of work to accomplish all this and the market is limited and dollar values will be much less than I put into it.

So it is decision time. Take the money and run to purchase a restored classic or go down the re-restore again mode?

I go from one to the other, from hour to hour.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Eddie, From reading your post I think I understand. And I'll bet most here do too. There's a big difference between showing off your car and saying:
A) "isn't she a beauty? A friend of mine did a beautiful restoration on it - don't you agree? " and
B) "Isn't she a beauty? I restored it all myself - rebuilt the engine, 30 thou overbore, custom cam, did all the body work and even did that great paint job. Quite nice, don't you agree?"

Tom

bkasl

Donation Time
How is this process different had you had a specialized classic car insurer like Hagerty with agreed to value rather than stated as far as the difference in salvage amount, repairs, etc?

65beam

Donation Time
totalled

with a value of 19K and damage of 14K, i believe that hagerty would have the car in the shop to be repaired.

AlpineII

Donation Time
And that is a question I am waiting to ask. Given that there is a $5k difference between value and cost to repair, I would have thought the agent would have tried to save the company $5 grand and do the repairs. There were other factors involved that I believe they looked at such as rental car replacement as I had full roadside assistance, trip dalay coverage, etc.

But they are leaving the decision to me to make and I have to admit it is a hard one.

Just waiting for the conversation but to date I don't feel like I have been pushed into anything and feel they are playing fair. They haven't yet given me a reason to start shopping around and with several cars and a house insured with them, I haven''t yet found anyone who can beat theri rates.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Just to muddle the conversation a bit more....

One might be tempted to take the appraised figure and find a good project car to restore. At least the damaged car might give a new life to one otherwise relagated to sitting around.