• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Just Totalled My Series II

AlpineII

Donation Time
I was driving down a rural highway on the way home after visiting my parents and a car pulled out of a side road right in front of me. A young woman didn't stop at the stop sign and didn't see me! My poor little Series II is a wreck!!! I hit the 2008 Volwagen right at the firewall and ripped the entire front right off it. Lost the passengers front wheel and went skidding down the road, trying to keep some sort of control. But I was able to keep it out of the ditch and didn't flip it.

It was seven years to complete the rotisserie restoration of that rust free/accident free California car!!!

I want to cry!!!:(

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I am very sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope no one was injured. Is what's left worth re building into a rust free body?

AlpineII

Donation Time
No major injuries right now but the shock is just starting to wear off and I have a few little hurts here and there. Front right corner was the contact piont and it went right down the passengers side and even ripped off the rear bumper.

Gonna wait until I stop shaking before going to the towing yard to look at it some more.

socorob

Donation Time
That sucks,I hope noone got hurt. Did you have shoulder belts in your car or only lap belts? Im so paranoid about something like that happening when im driving around.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Eddie,

I'm so sorry to hear that, but glad you walked away and are able to tell the story. When I got wrecked 18 months ago in my Dodge, it took me a few hours for the shakes to really hit and about a week for the aches to subside. Sorry about your car but like it's been said before here, we're glad you're able to share it with us.

You're among friends.

AlpineII

Donation Time
I am extremely lucky to walk away and really lucky that Volks wasn't a little faster or I would have hit them on the drivers door!

When I was restoring the car it didn't have seat belts and I went to lengths to installing a three point system with Recarro racing seats. Wife hated the seats as but really does ruin the line of thr car but they were comfortable as all get-out.

O/D in 4th had just kicked in and I was just coming up to 60MPH when we hit. Those three point belts held me to those ugly seats really well. Well enough so that I wasn't flopping around and really helped me keep control of the car, especially with that front wheel gone! Without them I surely would have kissed the steering wheel boss and you know even my sun-glasses were bent up!

Extremely happy to be able to be writing this right now and even happier that I am able to wonder what the insurance company is going to do for me. This is the first accident I have ever had and have been insured with State Farm since 1972 and usually multiple vehicles ( have 4 cars and a truck right now). I hope they treat me well cause I sure have sent a lot of dollars their way over the years!

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
We are are grateful that you are OK! I bet each one of us reading this are thinking about the safety of their cars and most of us I bet do not even have seat belts. I know I don't. At 60 mph with no seat belts you probably would not live to tell the story. I'm sure the Alpine community will rally around you and help you get back the car you had put so much into. Keep us all posted on how you get treated by the insurance company and let us know what you need to get your ride back! We are all glad you had those "ugly" seats that may have just saved your life.

Cheers,

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Glad your OK!

Good to hear from you as it has been said before, even Alpines can be replaced but not YOU! Sounds like the Alpine gave it's life to save yours, they are tough little cars, took out the 2008 Volkswagen, but then new vehicles are made to break apart during impact. Did the Volkswagen airbags go off? Keep all of us updated on insurance, who got the ticket?

Donna
:D

65beam

Donation Time
series 2

this is an excellent reason why you should insure your car with a company such as hagerty. they set a value on the car that would pay for a rebuild up to that value. a good shop can repair the car. there was an alpine in this area that had a similar mishap with an import. the frame rails were bent ,the fenders bulged and the bumper was really bent. it was a mess. that car is ready to have the engine set in. don't write the car off. anything can be repaired. for what its worth, i know where there are complete bodies for parts.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Thank god that you are still in one piece.No mattter but the car can be replaced but not you.
My son was hit by a Honda civic at the right front .The driver was racing and went through the red light.My sons Dodge daytona was a right off .The e honda started at the windshield but air bags saved the day.

Just take care of your self and don't rush into anything for awhile

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Man that really sux, just goes to show you should never finish a rebuild:D. That may be why I'm dragging my heels on finishing up. Makes me think I should replace my lab belt w/a 3 pointer. I'd also be interested in how your InsCo treats you. Glad you were able to walk away. As has been already said, cars can be replaced/rebuilt, you can't be.
Ron

AlpineII

Donation Time
Just got these from the towing yard. Ouch!

You know I am getting optimistic and think she can be brought to life again!

Attachments

• 100_2510a.JPG
    100_2510a.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_2522a.JPG
    100_2522a.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_2516a.JPG
    100_2516a.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 124

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Oh No Eddie!

Oh no Eddie, I am glad you are ok. I remember talking to you when you had been in the middle of the project. There are few of us Canadian on the forum and I am glad you are still with us.

I feel bad, as I know how much work you did on your car, I wish I would have been able to see the car in person. Life can change so quickly and we must always be thankful for even the little things.

I have a couple old shells here and if I can be of help to get another car on the road please contact me.

Andrew

socorob

Donation Time
Could you provide us with the model of seats, seat belts and the mounting locations you used? What you did is a proven safety tech for the alpines. I know im really wanting 3 points, good seats and a roll bar. Its scary how something like that can happen in just 1 second, and adding safety is every bit worth the cost.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh, my gosh... just read this.. I am *so* sorry, Eddie... that's heartbreaking. But I am also glad you're safe and that the Alpine's strong unibody construction and you're intelligent forethought saved your bacon.

As has been previously said, don't say it's written off too soon... you'd be surprised what can be resurrected, and a rust-free tub should always be given the benefit of the doubt. From the pictures, it does look pretty fixable.

I am curious see what State Farm will do... if they even start to give you a hard time, you might mention that your progress on all this is being monitored by a large group of interested collectors on a nation-wide forum, and State Farm's reputation would be enhanced from reporting a happy experience! ;)

All the best -
Kevin

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
You might want to consider to have your ins. company buy Chuck Nicodemus's Series II for you. The "Pumpkin" is a nice car and he wants to sell it. It's in Portland, Oregon.

Ed

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thank heavens you are okay. Good thinking on the belts, etc. I am so sorry about the Alpine.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I was just looking at the pictures and it's amazing the difference in damage between the guy who hit you and your Alpine.....