• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Just ANOTHER brake question.

dmich2

Donation Time
Wow...We almost need a dedicated Section just for brakes. OK, Ok, here's a stupid question, but I hate to get into doing something that's not really required. On my SIV I think the rear wheel cylinder(s) are faulty. I took the drum off and it's clean, no leaks and shoes and drum are in fine shape. Springs have good tension. However, when I put it all back together and spin the wheels they turn fairly freely, but when I apply the brakes then release them I can't rotate the wheel at all. After about 3-5 minutes, I'm able to spin the wheel. Is this a indication of a bad wheel cylinder? It would seem so to me, but just want to make sure with the experts.

Dennis

Jim E

Donation Time
Either the shoes are hanging up or the rubber hose is shot. When the rear brakes stick can you smack the drum and they free up? If so I would look at the shoes and make sure they can move. If not I would replace the rubber hose that goes from the car to the fitting on the rear end. These are kinown to swell on the insode when old then brake fluid can get thru under pressure but when you let off it is slow to leak down, thus stuck brakes.

dmich2

Donation Time
Another great example of why I love this Forum.!!!! :D Just as you said JimE. Replaced the old 42 year old hose, bled the brakes and whalllaaaa. No more dragging brakes. Thanks. A lot easier than the wheel cylinders, I'm sure.

Dennis