• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Jose Headers Modified to straightback by DanR

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are a few PIC's of a set of the Jose headers I had hanging in the shop for a while. Finally figured a way to modify them to run straight back and not out the side behind the front wheels.
Jose Headers Modified by DanR   20231217_101448.jpgJose Headers Modified by DanR    20231217_101527.jpg Jose Headers Modified by DanR   20231217_101510.jpg

They will be for sale when I finish the welding. $375.00 (+shipping). See POST #6 and the three pictures I added that show the ball&socket wuth nuts&boltys and the exhaust piece for adopting your exhaust piping on toward the rear.

Last edited:

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Did this require new material or just the modifying of existing tubing? My headers have the ball flange at the end. Could the flange be incorporated? Could my headers be modified? Does the straight header cause any temperature issues on the oil filter or starter?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike,
Did this require new material or just the modifying of existing tubing? My headers have the ball flange at the end. Could the flange be incorporated? Could my headers be modified? Does the straight header cause any temperature issues on the oil filter or starter?
Mike, the pictures are showing what I have done as for making them turn straight back.

I can have the collectors formed with the ball & socket easily.

I do that with all of my Headers. Just haven't done the Jose ones yet.

I must cut some to shorten the tubes in order to turn the collector toward the rear.

Your headers can be modified just like the ones in the pictures.

Running straight back will be just like my designed headers and there have been no reported problems.

Send yours to me and I will get them modified as pictured.

Cost to modify should be no more than $275. You pay shipping,

DanR

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Compared to a picture of V6 Jose headers,

1706029593093.jpeg

the three pictures posted by Dan show that the primary tubes of the V6 Jose headers were cut about midway between the header flange and the 3-into-1 collector cones and that new collector cones and curved collectors were then attached to the shortened primary tubes.

Shortening the primary tubes by about 50% will certainly raise the RPM range at which exhaust scavenging is most effective. The optimum primary tube length for exhaust scavenging in the 4-6K RPM range is something like 32-36 inches, so Dan's modification with a primary tube length of about 12 inches would probably best be described as "shorty" headers. The primary tube length for the V6 Jose headers is probably only about 24 inches, so shortening the primary tubes to about 12 inches may not make much difference. Dan's modification also results in a longer collector which should help with mid-range torque / HP.

For a street car, header design is almost always compromised for better "packaging"

JMO, YMMV.

Last edited:

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
I assume you’ve run both types of headers. If you have, have you noticed any appreciable difference in performance? My headers are ceramic coated. Would that be an issue if I decided to modify them. How much are your headers made from scratch (not converted Jose headers)?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
I assume you’ve run both types of headers. If you have, have you noticed any appreciable difference in performance? My headers are ceramic coated. Would that be an issue if I decided to modify them. How much are your headers made from scratch (not converted Jose headers)?
I bought the Jose Kit in which the headers were included back in '09. They stuck out the side of the Alpine behind the front wheels (designed for racing) and they were and still are very difficult to reroute under the Alpine with adequate clearance from speed bumps and sharp angled drives.

As I have spoken about them many times not being to my liking, I spent a good bit of money and time developing headers that run straight back similar to the Tiger system.

That being said, I did not ever run my Alpines with the Jose style headers installed, therefore I can't speak of the performance differences.

I do believe Barry has defined some potential differences in what the "Shorty's" are capable of producing.

The ceramic coating can not be completely saved. Because of the "new" metal required for the modification they will need to be either recoated or some other coating applied.

In the PIC below even though it is not a very good depiction, the routing of the exhaust from Jose style header had to be turned back in and under the Undercarriage. I have more and better PIC's of the routing needed, just haven't been able to find them yet....

I just added three (3) PICS of the "Shorty's" to show how yours should turn out. They will have the ball & socket and a piece to mate the ball necked down to 2" where you can weld/adapt your exhaust piping the reminder of the way to the rear.

Hopes this helps answer your questions, if not, please let me know.

Attachments

• 2.8 V6 Exhaust routing in 0766 with Jose headers    740.JPG
    2.8 V6 Exhaust routing in 0766 with Jose headers 740.JPG
    795 KB · Views: 22
  • Headers - 2.8 V6 by DanR   20231010_180521.jpg
    Headers - 2.8 V6 by DanR 20231010_180521.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Headers - 2.8 V6 by DanR   20231010_180357.jpg
    Headers - 2.8 V6 by DanR 20231010_180357.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Headers - 2.8 V6 by DanR   20231010_175100.jpg
    Headers - 2.8 V6 by DanR 20231010_175100.jpg
    629.2 KB · Views: 24

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
My concern about the ceramic coating wasn’t for saving it, but if it would impact welding. What do you get for you headers that aren’t modified Jose headers?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, while I have not had the opportunity to modify or weld metal that was chrome Plated, I will ask my Welder.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry, they are not chromed. They are ceramic coated in a titanium color finish.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Neither chrome plating nor ceramic coatings can be welded. However, both chrome plating and ceramic coatings can be locally removed (i.e.; ground off) so that typical welding techniques can be used.

Last edited: