• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

@ Jim Nichols (others ok, too)

pcmenten

Donation Time
Jim, I took the V6 modifications discussion here because it started to sound like a conversation between you and I and I didn't want to clutter the 'Modified' forum with chatter.

As you might recall, I have a Bronco II 2.8 long block and I have a 4.0 crankshaft. I've started the search for a Mustang 4.0 bell housing, HTOB, and block plate.

I have a 75 V6 that's close to done, so this other engine is going to be a labor of love as opposed to trying to get the danged vehicle back on the road.

I have some new rocker arm assemblies for the V6. There's an outfit in NorCal that will rebuild the assemblies with an offset to increase the rocker ratio. The 2.8 V6 has 2.9 valves and have been pocket ported and I'll swap those over to the stroker engine when the time comes.

Regarding that Buick 300 build, that's a very cool option for the MGB. The engine will fit like the 215 and you'll get about 5.6 liters. A max effort Rover V8 is about 4.9 - 5.0 liters, nice but the extra 36 cubic inches are nicer still. I happen to have a 340/350 crank in my collection of spares. I had a chance to get a 64 300 recently but has to resist that temptation. The price was about $300 or $400 for the entire car. Too many projects already. I still have an MGB that in inside storage in Boise, but I also have an Olds 215 ready to go into that project. :D

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thinking......?

PC, Keep the discussion going. I'm reading and studying and looking and listening and, and, ;)

Sure like the possibilities too!

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
You sound like me. Too many projects. I, too, need to finish the MGB 215 conversion, my wife's 79. Then there is a 5-speed conversion for my '80 MGB. Plus I have the parts for the Alpine V6 conversion. I've got the heads done and a 2.9 crank modded. Then there's the '69 Mach I that I've had in pieces for ever. Plus more.

pcmenten

Donation Time
OMG, Mach I. Very cool!

I'll be making a trip to Boise tomorrow to pick up an engine I've had in the works for a long time. The shop, Boise Cylinder Head, did the work. A 351W block with Cleveland heads. Roller cam, 393 stroker crank, Edelbrock Clevor intake. I'll probably have that engine run-in on a dyno before installing it.

I had to pare back on other projects, so this engine will probably starts its life on the road in a 52 Studebaker pickup truck. A truck for which I also have a newly finished, stroker 307 R2+ Studebaker engine. The 307 made about 300 ft/lbs of torque on the dyno through stock exhaust manifolds.

Then there's the '59 Ford 292 Y-block engine that I held onto. It just seemed like too cool of an engine to let go. I sold a completed 1956 292 last Saturday, and a bunch of 312 parts were sold late last year. All the buyers were quite happy to get their hands on some quality vintage parts.

I feel like it's a victory that I'm down to four project vehicles (and 6 engines).

:rolleyes: Car habit, or what?

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Mach 1.....drooling on the keyboard.......Any interest in trading for a nearly completed, very nice SV?? The one I have posted for sale is still available.

Last edited by a moderator:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Paul, When you get the 4.0 bellhousing could you compare the depth with the Mustang II. I finally have some good pics of the 2005-2009 Mustang T5. I'll start a new thread in the modified section. Huge counterweight/balancer CV joint on the end. Slip shaft driveline. Shifter in S10 spot.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Paul, I don't know if you saw a picture of the 300 stroker. 5.7 liter; 350 cu in. 350 crank and bore size(.050 overbore)We have a few tricks on the build to make 375HP. MS3, 4 barrel TB, MPFI.

Attachments

• Chris Gill's 300 Buick V8 with 350 crank around 400HP.jpg
    Chris Gill's 300 Buick V8 with 350 crank around 400HP.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 42

pcmenten

Donation Time
Unreal! Very cool how it fits an MGB. Love the MPFI. Now if that just had a roller camshaft. :-]

I wonder how much that engine weighs? Looks like aftermarket aluminum heads. With the bigger crank, it's probably pushing 425 pounds. The original B engine is 335 pounds?

- Paul

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Stock 64 Buick 300 aluminum heads, ported with larger valves. 300 iron block only weighs 80 lbs more than the 215. The 300 is about an inch taller and wider. Intake is ported and has a 1/2" adapter for the throttle body. Injector bungs tigged on. Chevy valve covers with adapters from England. Ford 2.5 SOHC Ranger pistons. Hypertuectic coated ones from Speedpro. 3.78 + .020 for 3.8 bore. 350 Buick crank mains turned down .5" to fit 300 block. 75-80 350 Buick capscrew rods. Short, light pistons and long rods. Crower cam with about 290 duration and .500 lift. Internally balanced. The only clearance issue was the windage tray spaced down with washers and 2 dimples in front oil pan.

Last edited:

pcmenten

Donation Time
Geez I wish you hadn't told me that - now I want one. :D Sounds like a sweet build, although I don't quite understand the Chevy valve covers. Totally love the EFI conversion.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Paul, Chris wanted the Offy finned covers and they were out of stock everywhere. We looked at Moon and O Brien Truckers no name valve covers for the Buick/Rover motors also. They look identical to Chevy ones. The difference was the Buick/Rover were all around $300 and the Chevy ones were $65.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mach 1.....drooling on the keyboard.......Any interest in trading for a nearly completed, very nice SV?? The one I have posted for sale is still available.

You don't want to do that. By in pieces I mean it's stripped down to a rolling shell. It's been in pieces for about 20 years. It is a 351W 4v (not a shaker) FMX automatic. Red on red.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
If you are interested...I'm serious. This one is almost done and I'm looking for a new project, and Fords (especially Mustangs) are always on my radar. If you want some fresh pics just let me know. The car is quite a bit farther along then what the pics show.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you are interested...I'm serious. This one is almost done and I'm looking for a new project, and Fords (especially Mustangs) are always on my radar. If you want some fresh pics just let me know. The car is quite a bit farther along then what the pics show.

No. The wife would kill me. She thinks it's hers. The '73 rag top is hers.
The '69 "was mine" until I got the '65 coupe. The same thing happened with the Buick 215 set up I got for my '80 MGB. Once I got the Alpine and the V6 stuff, she decided the 215 was going in her '79 MGB(which is where it sits now). Guess I'm luck she's a car person, though.
The Mach is a block 1 project. It was intact when I bought it and 99% of it was there. I picked up many parts along the way, including a complete fold down rear seat set up, before they were available in reproduction. Starting in '69 the fold down rear seat became an option, unlike earlier where they where standard. It does have a solid body though.

Sorry about the thread hijack.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Wives.....Oh well...Happy wife, Happy life...Sounds like you got a good one tho. At least an understanding one. I was already planning a trip to florida to pick it all up..

Also sorry for the thread jacking.

pcmenten

Donation Time
Love the thread-jacking.

I have a newly finished Clevor 393 that needs a home. It was destined for a 70 Mustang Grande, but I'm thinking that might not actually happen. After getting the 393 running in another vehicle (52 Studebaker pickup), what might happen is an engine swap into a 67-70 Mercury Cougar of some sort.

I didn't get the bell housing this last weekend. I made a day trip (11 hours of driving :eek:) to get some parts for the Stude and was hoping to get a transmission advertised there, but the boneyard didn't have the bell housing. There's one within 100 miles of me in Vancouver, so I'll be looking into that instead.

Paul