• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

jack stand location

napa 1

Donation Time
Here's another in my long list of novice questions..What are the best jack stand locations, front and rear for the Alpine? Also best floor jacking location to lift front end onto two jack stands. thanks.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
jack stands

John, you will recieve many kinds of ideas, here is one.

I have a heavy duty floor jack that will lift one end of the car off the floor about 18" I then put the front ones in first to utilize the parking brake in addition to the wheel chocks for the back. The placement to me in each operation depends on what I am working on, for instance, you don't want to work around a stand for access to the transmission. So I put mine as far back that looks like a good spot and sturdy. The X points on each side are good spots.

After assuring myself that the front is solid, let the jack down 'slowley" to watch the settling down of the car frame on the stands. If you have some heavey rubber to sacrifice, put it between the frame and the stand. This keeps slippage down to a minimum. Some will put in a small block of wood, as I do on occasion.

Then I move the jack to the rear, and with a piece of wood, mount the jack on the "banjo" of the differential. Raise the car slowley and install your jack stand on the spring mounts or under the axle housing.. again rubber or wood. your choice.
Remember, a transmission removal will require the car to be a bit higher than normal , because of the bell housing and shoulder room.

Always safety first, block the wheels and make sure you have someone helping or checking up one you ocassionally.
Another thing, if you do not have wheel ramps I would advise aquiring a set or two. If you don't need to work on the wheels these are a great benefit... Here again, wheel ramps made of steel ar good, but tend to slide if trying to drive upon them on concrete, I use wood to put them on.
The rubber or wood,,, steel on steel is not too safe..
Well good luck.
A pit would be great...
Chuck in Portland

Nickodell

Donation Time
My dad taught me never to get under a car mounted on any kind of jack or stands unless you have an immovable, incompressible object under it too. In the half century I've been messing about with cars I've always had a piece sawn from a tree trunk under there with me. The current one is from a large tree with a 24" trunk, and is about 18" high.

I say always, but I've been lazy and skipped that part on occasion in the past. Then two things happened. The first was when I was "just going to be under it for a moment to remove the sump drain plug." When I wriggled out to get a larger wrench for the plug, the trolley jack, which was under the front suspension cross-member, suddenly collapsed with a shriek of hydraulics and fluid spraying out, and the car came down boing boing. Where I had been a minute earlier.

The next was when I had the rear on substantial jack stands. It was a hot day and the macadam of my driveway was soft. The stands gradually began to lean over as one side sank into the macadam, and I came out like the proverbial scalded cat.

After those two scares, I heeded the message and "my tree" always goes under first.

Three or four years ago a guy not far from here was pinned under his car when either his jack failed or the car rolled. His wife came out after a couple of hours to bitch about how long are you going to mess with that damned car and found him. The coroner's inquest said that the weight of the car hadn't actually killed him; it just compressed his chest sufficiently so that he couldn't get out, breathe or yell for help - he just suffocated.

Wheel chocks are great, but making the above scenario impossible is better.

Wombat

Donation Time
John,

I agree with what Chuck has to say. I have also supported the Alpine under the front longitudinal frame rails. Nick's experience with the jack failure is a cautionary tale. NEVER get under the car when only supported by a jack. I would also add that whenever you want to jack op the car and get under it that you only do it on a smooth, flat, horizontal concrete surface.

I do not go as far as Nick with his tree stump, but understand his reasons (maybe i like living dangerously). Interestingly in the commentary on the Bathurst 1000 (our big touring car race) last year, they made mention that the Pit bays were concrete so the onboard jacks wouldn't sink into the hot asphalt.

Never NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER do it this way:
TheWrongWay.jpg
[/IMG]

napa 1

Donation Time
At least he has the rear wheel blocked ...for safety.

I have a set of ramps, I think I'll get another set and have the whole car up on ramps while i'm working on non-wheel related items. My wife has been very interested and supportive of the car, but if I get injured working on it, she's not going to be too pleased.;)

Pumpkin

Donation Time
supports

If your wife supports the car, you don't need wheel ramps :D

BAD Abaddd, :p

I will post this once, my friend was helping me replace a whole differental, due to a twisted axel. Had the car jacked up bumper jacks right,,,?? Then for safety we put under the frame a couple of "good" concrete blocks.

Well, had the housing out and ready to stuff the other under,, when yes, the jacks slipped, the blocks crushed down and it all stoped just as the edge of the gravel pan under the door, cut into my buds scalp,,, Just to the bone,, no deeper but scared the :eek: :eek: out of me, Have you ever tried to save a bud that was A) bleeding like crazy, B) screaming like crazy and C) trying to get a jack reset to lift the dang thing off him so he could get out..
Well thats my story and never again used a bumper jack, concrete blocks.
Do take care, I have several more of my "don't do this at home" stories.
Chuck in Clackamas

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I have four 3 ton jack stands. I put the front ones just behind the wheel well on just inside the lip. The rear one go right behind the rear spring attachment point.
Then I drop the jack and shake the hell out of the car. If it doesn't fall off I then check the jack stands and go to work.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
jack stands

Just might work out for you. Good luck on that one. I don't think I would shake the car most hard but just enough to feel the sturdy-ness. Unless you are going to be yanking exaust and/or wheel bearings. I don't know why, but I liked the idea of a large block of wood for an extra helper. Now to find a tree to sacrifice for it...:D

Take care.
Chuck