• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

It's going to be sold !

John Boggis

Donation Time
I have decided to sell my series IV... I need the space for a new Merc I have purchased. The Alpines details are on the web link below.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Great Original

Hi John,
That is a great car and should be easily sold. What is your asking price so everyone need not guess. I am a potential buyer.

I am working to clear a space in my garage. I might have room as my Wedgwood Blue SII has strong interest and should be sold soon.

Best,
Bill Atalla
http://community.webshots.com/user/atallamcs

jack Bacon

Donation Time
I think there are many of us clearing a space in their garage in hopes of acquiring the finest Alpine in the world.

Jack

atallamcs

Donation Time
Alpine

I read through your web site but could not find the price--please post, not everyone will be surprised as I sold my Yellow Series IV, four years ago for $35K.
Bill

agmason

Donation Time
"I read through your web site but could not find the price--please post, not everyone will be surprised as I sold my Yellow Series IV, four years ago for $35K."

It may be a case of if you have to ask, you can't afford it!

atallamcs

Donation Time
alpine for sale

You know that might be true. But nothing gets sold without a discussion on price, at least in this world. And I can tell you for sure, I don't buy without knowing the price and comparing to value for a reality check.
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Now Bill... you know that car is a no touchy touchy!.. Dont make me write you a multi page email begging you not to restore it ;) .. we all know how that ends for me :D

atallamcs

Donation Time
Alpine

Hi Michael,
Ok, that made me laugh. I was thinking of buying it and installing a Rotary Engine or Big Block and changing the color to orange, so restoration was not my first thought. You might be right, leave it for someone else who wants to hand over a blank check and let the seller fill in the details.
Bill

John Boggis

Donation Time
My Alpine will be put up for sale in the next few weeks...The asking price is £30,000 UK pounds Sterling. The car comes with It's own custom air chamber which is included in the price.

alpine_64

Donation Time
My Alpine will be put up for sale in the next few weeks...The asking price is £30,000 UK pounds Sterling. The car comes with It's own custom air chamber which is included in the price.

John,

Given what Hurst park in the Uk ask for what they describe as "original" alpines I think yours is a very fair price. I always wonder if they actually get their asking price, they do seem to shift the cars but the amount of times they say "original" and "unrestored" on cars that have quite obviously had significant work makes me wonder. They had a S3 listed at the moment and a SV.

65beam

Donation Time
sold

michael,
did you read the article in one of the hemmings magazines awhile back? they talked about the fact that a car is original only once. that's when it leaves the back door of the plant. after that it becomes a maintained car. in other words you can change the carpets out to original specs or change the oils and fluids or change plugs, light bulbs,etc to keep it running but the fact is it's no longer original. does that shed any light on the discussion as to being originals?

alpine_64

Donation Time
No bob, hemmings isn't easily available here.. i do find it ironic that you mention that tag line.. something you and i discussed a while back in regards to johns SIV..

The cars i mention are not "maintained" they have been modified to non factory specification. There is a S3 presented as original and unresotred.. well.. it may not have been "restored" but its had a lot of work done.. and that work has taken it away from factory specs.

The S3 has white interior, white edged rasio and speaker box, metalic blue paint and 2 eared chrome spinners.. there were some other things as well.. point being its more than maintence.. its a devation from what was originaly offered.

You and i have discussed what you feel in regards to "period" options being as good as factory and thnen replacement parts offered by dealers at later dates.. doubt we need to go over it again.. just go re-read our last discussion in regards to johns car and i think the ex-tom hall? red tiger that went to auction a year or so back.

I doubt either of us have changed our opinions on the subject.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Alpine

Wishing you a successful sale. Please keep us informed as to the final purchase price. Thanks
Best,
Bill

agmason

Donation Time
"I don't buy without knowing the price and comparing to value for a reality check. "

I would say the reality is this car is truly a "one of a kind" , never to be repeated find. The way the "collector" car market today values originality and unrestored cars, I don't think you can compare this to any other stock restored Alpine sold in the last couple of years. The selling price should set a benchmark that only a true "original" car can match in todays market.

agmason

Donation Time
"they talked about the fact that a car is original only once. that's when it leaves the back door of the plant. after that it becomes a maintained car. in other words you can change the carpets out to original specs or change the oils and fluids or change plugs, light bulbs,etc to keep it running but the fact is it's no longer original. does that shed any light on the discussion as to being originals?"

I think you are confusing a "museum" piece, never driven just on display, with a unrestored, factory original survivor. Sure, you can drive it and change oil, plugs, etc to keep it running and which is considered normal maintenance. But redoing carpets and whatever else you may be thinking of will take it out of the unrestored factory original classification.

John Boggis

Donation Time
I have advertised my Alpine for the first time today on www.carandclassic.co.uk I have had over 200 hits in the first hour ! three e-mails from interested buyers and two people calling to view the car.

More interesting though was a call from Coys The Auctioneers in London...The gentleman on the phone said the asking price was more than fair considering the rarity of the car and said not to take a peeny less as he felt the car could fetch considerably more at auction.

Am I selling it too cheap ?

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey John,
Go ahead and put it in the auction and set the reserve a little more than your current asking price to cover you auction expenses and see just how much it is worth. You do not want to look back a regret selling it less than you could.

Good Luck,

alpine_64

Donation Time
More interesting though was a call from Coys The Auctioneers in London...The gentleman on the phone said the asking price was more than fair considering the rarity of the car and said not to take a peeny less as he felt the car could fetch considerably more at auction.

Am I selling it too cheap ?

He may be right that the car will go for more at auction, however with their fees etc i wonder if you would end up wiht less? As for COYS, BONHAMS etc, what worries me is that if its at their big auctions your car will not get the star billing that it would at a smaller firm like H&H, but they may not draw the right crowd.. that was proven late last year with the ex-works rally tiger.