• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

It may be a long ride!

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Well the trip to the Invasion may be a long ride.
This morning I started up the SIII and half way to work she died on me.
I found that my fuel valve had closed again, #$&*<&^#$#$ thing! I opened it back up again and off I went.

Now she seems to be missing and running a little rough. I am just a little worried about the 7 1/2 hour drive. I will take the plugs out of her and see if any of them are fouled. My timing and carbs are still in question but I don’t have the experience to mess with these things. I cleaned the distributor and contacts 2 days ago. I may change the points but my main problem may be the old plug wires and coil. These wires and coil are different as the wires screw down to the top of the distributor to include the coil wire that runs to the distributor. I have some standard wires and coil that I think would be good to put in the car just in case. I feel that it is a bit of a balancing act right now because I do not want to mess with the car while she is running well enough to get me to Ohio.

I need to make it to the Invasion with the trophies and window badges (or my name may be mud if I mess the car up and don’t make it to Tipp City).

Is there anyone who is traveling south on I75 from Detroit on Thursday? Please keep an eye out for a "rough looking" black (should be red) SIII Alpine if your on I75. I know I should have more faith in the car but I have had a rough go trying to get this old girl ready for the Invasion.
Fingers crossed (tough driving that way) and I will be in Tipp City around 4:00pm.

2 days away!:eek: :) :eek:

Andrew

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Every Road Trip

All road trips are a journey, most start out with a worn fan belt and low tire and most of the time the traveler never knows this and completes the trip. Best of luck to you Andrew and take along every tool you will not need and every part that will not fix what just broke that is just the nature of traveling. Hope to see you Thursday evening! This is why my Alpine Vicki is staying home 760 miles one way is just too long and to stressful on the driver that she may or may not make the journey. If I did not have to worry about getting to work after labor day, if I had the classic car insurance that would cover hotel and towing anywhere then I would go for it! Just call me Alpine Chicken!
Besides Andrew if we not working on your car its not a real Invasion is it?

Donna
:D

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Donna's right Andrew - Invasion tradition holds that at least one person must limp their car on to the grounds, resulting in the rest of us descending on your car to help fix it. There will be plenty of knowledgeable people on hand, plus Ian's entire workshop, so I'm sure we can look it over and get you back home to Canada.

You may want to consider replacing that fuel valve right now with a small piece of fuel hose, just to get you here and back. Once home, soak the valve in carb cleaner or something similar to clean it out. It could also be paint flakes coming from your gas tanks. What does it look like in the visible bowl of the fuel pump?

Andrew

Donation Time
Hi Donna and Scott:

Thanks for the boost, I am a little worried but it will not stop me from going.
I cleaned the fuel bowl out 2 weeks ago but will check it again tonight.
I may put a hose clamp around the fuel valve to keep it from going closed, it may not look right but it will work for now. The last thing I want to have happen is to stop every 100 miles on the I75 to open the valve.
I was just checking the front brakes during my lunch break (it is great being able to tinker on your car at work) and when I put the front tire back on I broke a lug off the front driver’s side. Well down to three, until I get home tonight.
The tools and extra parts will be loaded into the car tonight.
Thanks again.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Andrew, ran into something the other day that might be of interest to you. I decided to go with contact points, found an old ballast resister and before putting it on, decided to give it a test. 2.5 ohms across the posts. Testing on the back side (across the resister wire), gave a 1.5. Sooo, i wire brushed as much corrosion as I could off of the riveted connections, front and back. Slathered them with soldering paste (resin) heated and applied some solder. Took a while for the resin to clean the brass enough that the solder ran onto the parts like it should. But when I finished, I had 1.5 ohms, terminal to terminal. That extra ohm could make for a very rough running Alpine.

Good luck on your trip.
Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
Easy test of the resistor is to bypass it. You don't want to drive around that way as it can burn up the points but if the rough running disappears then it's the cause.

S

Steve Kirk

There can be no better place than the Invasion due to the knowledge taht will be available.

I am planning to set off after work this evening and arriving sometime on Thurdsay.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I feel that it is a bit of a balancing act right now because I do not want to mess with the car while she is running well enough to get me to Ohio.

Andrew, I feel the exact same way. I've got about 350 miles on mine, seems to be running ok, but you really hear every rattle and creak and wonder if it's gonna die or if I should work on it more. Then again, the more I drive it the more I get used to the sounds.

We should have quite an adventure getting to Ohio as well, just hopefully not too much adventure. We plan on taking back roads from Chicago through Indiana to Ohio, don't feel like winding her out on the Interstate.

See you all there.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Less than 10 miles on mine. Gets alignment and exhaust system tomorrow morning. Leave late afternoon. But it is only about 60 miles and will have a chase car.

Speaking of exhaust, its about exhausted me. Seems that everything turns into a major issue.

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
Less than 10 miles on mine. Gets alignment and exhaust system tomorrow morning. Leave late afternoon. But it is only about 60 miles and will have a chase car.

Speaking of exhaust, its about exhausted me. Seems that everything turns into a major issue.

Bill

Sixty miles to the Invasion. I dont think Ive ever went to a Brit car show that close. I dont even want to know how far it is. See you guys Thursday evening. Cant wait to see the Alpine Bill.
Dwain V6 Krazy

S

Steve Kirk

I am about to leave my Hotel in Arkansas. I somehow managed to pick a hotel in a dry county.

I still hope to arrive sometime Thursday morning.

Andrew

Donation Time
Well, did a little more work and the SIII ran very well this morning.
I will be off Thursday morning 4:30am and should be at Tipp City around 4:00pm 4:30. Mind you I may have to stop for a snack and petrol a few times so I may be a little longer.
Part of the fun and excitement is the unknown!
I am looking forward to meeting everyone.
Regards,
Andrew

Jim E

Donation Time
Have about 100 miles on the car since it went back together, going to give it a once over today The we leave around 4 am.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Only 60 MILES

Bill

Heck that's like in your back yard, gees 60 miles I put that many on Vicki just going to work and back, and you need a chase vehicle good grief, have a little faith!

Donna

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Heck that's like in your back yard, gees 60 miles I put that many on Vicki just going to work and back, and you need a chase vehicle good grief, have a little faith!

Donna

Well, yes, we do need a chase vehicle. The trunk on the car does not have a latch, no side windows, no interior, no top. Just a running shell. Wifey said "We are taking two vehicles."

So there.

Bill

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Diamond in the rough

Bill,
Sorry I was not aware that it was the diamond in the rough category, yes I do understand now that in that condition I would decline to ride in it also, Smart Wifey! LOL

My excuse, no soft top, yea that's the ticket, and not enough days off of work. Steve gave himself almost 3-days to make the drive from Texas, I figured at least 2 days if I attempted the drive from Tulsa. I am at work today BUMMMER!

Donna

George Farrell

Donation Time
Guys,

I'll be leaving in a little bit, will meet Paul A (fron Sunny South Dakota) near Rochester, mn and take I-90 to Madison. We will overnight there, and then take I-39 to I-74 to I-70. If anybody gets in a jam along that route, geive me a call on my cell phone: 612-419-7567. I'll have some tools and a few critical parts.

George

Pumpkin

Donation Time
A Long trip.

I am going to print off all this and let the Pumpkin read it in the quietness of the garage. And pout at it's own leasure. :( Going to the All Brit here in Portland this weekend. Dang, we'ed really like to meet all some day.:D
Chuck

Andrew

Donation Time
I am going to print off all this and let the Pumpkin read it in the quietness of the garage. And pout at it's own leasure. :( Going to the All Brit here in Portland this weekend. Dang, we'ed really like to meet all some day.:D
Chuck

Hi Chuck,
I am taking a pile of film and video camera, I will be sure to share everything with those who are unable to attend.
Andrew

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Pumpkins will not meet?

:(
Ahh Chuck and I wanted my Pumpkin to meet your Pumpkin, DARN!
Yea I know our Pumpkin is a corvette NOT a Alpine but still its Orange :eek:
Have a safe journey and make the rest of the Brits jealous of your Pumpkin.

Donna