• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Is this the right V6???

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Dennis,

This is the wrong V6 if you want to use my kit. It is a 2.6 V6, from a 1972-1973 Capri, and will not work with my kit, because it has siamesed ports and the headers won´t fit. The motor mounts won´t work either, because Ford changed the motor mount location on the block, between the 2.6 and 2.8 V6s. Another reason, and probably the most important reason not to use it, is that it is obsolete and the parts for it are scarce and expensive.

Jose

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have emailed the owner and he thinks it is from a mid 80's Ranger or Bronco, which would make it correct. Is there any easy way to tell? I looked at my engine and don't see a lot of identifying marks on it. What should the owner check to be sure? Or, is there something your eagle eyes are seeing in the photo that I am missing?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

The guy doesn´t know what he has. It definitely isn´t a Ranger engine, because it would be industrial grey to begin with. It would have heavier exhaust manifolds and wouldn´t have the early Capri cast iron bellhousing and side shift transmission bolted to it. This engine isn´t a 2.8 V6. Either the guy doesn´t know what he has, or he´s trying to unload a loser. Believe me. I know these engines and this is a 2.6 V6. If you want to really identify it, have the guy remove the exhaust manifold. That will prove it isn´t what you´re looking for.

In the e-mail you sent me, youi said that the timing cover had the number 73 cast on it. That says it was designed in 1973. The 2.8 has the number 74 cast on it, which is the first year that the 2.8 V6 was made. The Ranger/Bronco II has the number 83 cast on it, which says it was first used in 1983, which is the first year of the Ranger/Bronco II V6.

Jose

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jose. I gave up on it when you told me it was from a Capri, I was just trying to understand how you could tell from such a small picture. I'd like to be able to do the same thing, in case I come across another one.

For the record, I don't think he is trying to pass it off; based on his note I would say he doesn't know what he has and is just passing along what he has been told by others.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

The easiest thing to see, is the small exhaust manifolds. If you look at the exhaust manifolds from your first 2.8 V6 and compare them to this engine´s, you can see that the 2.8 manifold is much heavier and not as curved on the passenger side manifold of the engine. Look real close at that manifold and you will see that the rear part of the manifold, which is the one that covers the siamesed ports, is small enough to just cover one port. The front part of the manifold also has a small part that also covers one port. You will also notice that this engine has just two bolts on each port, holding the manifold on. The 2.8 has three bolts around each part of the manifold that covers each part of the head where the ports come out. The 2.8 uses just four bolts total and the 2.8 has six bolts total. Another thing you can see in this picture, is that the engine mounts are almost in the middle of the engine block, where your 2.8 has the mounts up front, under the fuel pump. Just one of the reasons my kit won´t work.

If it didn´t have the transmission on it, you could still see what it was. Since I have owned both kinds of engines, it is easy for me to see the differences. I wouldn´t expect you to be able to tell the difference, so if you want, you can ask me any time you need someone to identify one for you.

Jose