• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Interior Rear View Mirror Alternatives

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I realize that the interior rear view mirror is hard to come by. Is there a mirror, readily available, that is used by other cars, that match the mounting hole pattern of an SV? Or can be modified to fit?
It doesn't have to look exactly like the original, but will look good.
Has anyone used a stick-on mirror that attaches to the windshield?
I searched the forums, but didn't find an answer

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
Just FYI there should be original mirrors available and long term probably easier that way IMO. I believe I have a spare but need to dig it out to check condition. I have seen other not stock mirrors but have no details re.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I realize that the interior rear view mirror is hard to come by. Is there a mirror, readily available, that is used by other cars, that match the mounting hole pattern of an SV? Or can be modified to fit?
It doesn't have to look exactly like the original, but will look good.
I searched the forums, but didn't find an answer
The mirror attachment spacing is generic to many Brit cars of the period...including other rootes cars . That said they tend to have longer stems as they are from cars with taller screens.

Jemca, sparto and stanpart all made mirrors.

The SV shares the same basic mirror head as the Healey 3000 mkii/iii but they don't have the plastic edge of the sunbeam ones...they are available repro.

Also Sunbeam Specialties stocked a replacement mirror... Are they no longer in stock?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor

I have a stick-on mirror on my SV. I installed it after I put in the roll bar because the bar interfered too much with the rear view. Lowering it on the windshield - it sits just a little lower than the stock one - improved the view dramatically. I also wanted a day/night mirror. I found a relatively old unused one on eBay but doubt it makes much difference. I had it on with the double stick tape that came with it but had to remove it for some reason and just used 3M outdoor double stick mounting tape and it holds fine.

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
The mirror attachment spacing is generic to many Brit cars of the period...including other rootes cars . That said they tend to have longer stems as they are from cars with taller screens.

Jemca, sparto and stanpart all made mirrors.

The SV shares the same basic mirror head as the Healey 3000 mkii/iii but they don't have the plastic edge of the sunbeam ones...they are available repro.

Also Sunbeam Specialties stocked a replacement mirror... Are they no longer in stock?

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a stick-on mirror on my SV. I installed it after I put in the roll bar because the bar interfered too much with the rear view. Lowering it on the windshield - it sits just a little lower than the stock one - improved the view dramatically. I also wanted a day/night mirror. I found a relatively old unused one on eBay but doubt it makes much difference. I had it on with the double stick tape that came with it but had to remove it for some reason and just used 3M outdoor double stick mounting tape and it holds fine.

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I might go the stick on route as well.
But, for now, I spent a whole $11 on a suction cup rear view mirror, from Amazon. Better than nothing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230824_170523_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230824_170523_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sunbeam Spares in the UK has the mirror also. For about 95£, or $119 USD, plus shipping.
A bit more than I'm willing to pay.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a early square style Jemca it's identical except for the little edge the hooks over the visor bracket. I'll have to look for it..
SS ones are unavailable and later style with a day night flipping feature. I should have brought one when they were available.

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
Healey 100/4 or AC Cobra, and clamp onto the stock stem
The later big healey is very similar as noted, but the Sunbeam stem is too large to fit

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I just installed a roll bar and discovered...my stock rear view mirror is pretty much useless at this point. LOL
Do you have a photo of what you did with yours that you could share?

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just received an email from S/S, "OUR INTERIOR REAR VIEW DAY-NIGHT MIRROR IS RETURNING SOON. Pt # IP87 @ $130. It is listed in our
catalog on P. 25 without a price. Let us know if you would like to be notified when it arrives."
Jan

Thanks!

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I am not home at the moment and can’t take a close up photo, but here are two that I cropped to try to give you an idea. I can take better ones tomorrow if these aren’t clear.
Thanks…I ordered a suction cup mirror. My thought is keeping the stock mirror in place and only mounting this one while driving.
I’ll get a better idea when I actually have the mirror to try out as far as locating it.

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks…I ordered a suction cup mirror. My thought is keeping the stock mirror in place and only mounting this one while driving.
I’ll get a better idea when I actually have the mirror to try out as far as locating it.
I actually like the size and contour of the suction cup mirror I bought, for about $12.
It gives me an idea of what size i can look for, especially if I get one that sticks to the windshield.
Maybe I should get a rear view camera and display, like I have on my camper. It's great. I don't have to have extended side mirrors