• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Interesting Scam/Unethical phishing attempt

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
My brother, David, received the following email this morning:

upload_2021-5-6_15-23-35.png
He forwarded it to me, assuming it was intended for me. That made sense, but 1) I don't know anyone named Jon Patterson and 2) Stone is such a common name that it would be virtually impossible for someone to find "David Stone" when they were looking for "Jim Stone," especially given that it went to his work address and not a generic Gmail or other email account. So, I did a little Googling of Mr. McDowall and found this on a Ferrari site: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/warning-of-fishing-scam-by-auto-broker.591959/

So, while not quite a scam, it is certainly an unethical practice. And that is assuming that someone else hasn't co-opted the idea and is using it for a different, even less scrupulous purpose. Which is possible, given that the phone number the Ferrari guy got wasn't on my brother's email.

Just in case anyone else gets one like this. I might well have been fooled if it had come directly to me. It was only the fact that my brother got it that tipped me off.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Yeah, I got that one a few weeks ago. I actually responded thinking it was someone who stiffed me on buying an S2 I have for sale. nothing seems to have come of it though.