• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Intake manifold drain

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Carbs back on - :):) . Couple issues left before a test drive...

One is the drain in the intake manifold. I think the manifold being used with
the Zeniths came from an S3.

The manifold has a drain in the bottom with a short hose. Excess fuel drains out and drops to the ground.

The drippage of raw fuel does not appear safe. Should there be a cannister or some device to catch the fuel? ...Could anyone explain how this is supposed to work?

Thank you!

Allan

Jim E

Donation Time
Should be all metal and come to a taper with a small hole in it plus be long enough to fit in one of the openings in the steel motor mount on the cross member. as I recall

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
There should also be a one way check valve on the end of the copper line from the factory. Is yours open with no check valve? Instant vacuum leak!Eric

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Eric is right. Thiere should be a check valve with a ball bearing in it that gets sucked up to close the valve when running. This allows fuel out to help prevent flooding when car is being cranked over. Excess fuell will run out onto the ground and should be directed away from the exhaust pipes. Most Alpines are missing this valve and the hole is plugged with a bolt or plug.

Looks like you have a vacuum leak. I just put one of these valves on the Harrington and will snap a picture today and attach to this post.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Yikes.

Will have to plug it for now and source a valve...

The car has only a short rubber hose fitted to the stub of a stock metal pipe. The hose ran into a really big black cannister of some sort, who knows where that came from.

Thanks everyone; look forward to the picture.

Allan

64beam

Donation Time
Yikes.

Will have to plug it for now and source a valve...

The car has only a short rubber hose fitted to the stub of a stock metal pipe. The hose ran into a really big black cannister of some sort, who knows where that came from.

Thanks everyone; look forward to the picture.

Allan

Hi Allan,

The canister being the previous owners attempt to stop the problem with the vacuumm leak. Not really a safe method of fixing the leak though. Fuel in the canister could be a potential fire hazard. definately safer to plug it.

Regards, Robin.

thequick

Donation Time
Wow! and I thought the wiring got a bad rap.. Raw fuel draining near the exhaust or a factory vacuum leak. Tough choice.

D

Dr.NO 007

Ian, come back to us !

Looks like you have a vacuum leak. I just put one of these valves on the Harrington and will snap a picture today and attach to this post.

Hello IAN
we're all waiting to see that photo of the manifold & valve installation that you promised !
A picture is worth a thousand words. I am learning from all your posts and consider them my "Alpine Bible"

Chuck
Dr. No 007

65beam

Donation Time
intake drain

i have these drains on my cars, but they are blocked due to one car catching fire many years ago. getting rid of the solex and going to the weber probably cured the real problem but i won't make the same mistake again. it's called peace of mind .

havealucky

Donation Time
Fuel fire

What about the Tiger with the fuel pump mounted approximately 4" above the flaming hot muffler? The list goes on.

In the sixties the lawyers had not yet become involved...

Them were the days.

Tim