• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Instrument voltage stabilizer

awalker64tiger

Donation Time
The sunbeam tiger I have restored seems to have an issue with the instrument voltage stabilizer. When the key is turned on, the fuel and water temp guage begin to rise. Before the guages can climb to the correct number they stop and begin to fall back to zero or cold. When testing voltage on the I and B terminal on the voltage stabilizer, you can see that once you turn the key on, the I terminal will have 12 volts but then drop to zero just a few seconds later. Thus, making the guages fall back to their resting position. If you wait a minute or two and turn the key on again, it will do this same thing again. The B terminal always has constant 12 volts regardless. I'm wondering if there is a circuit breaker that is opening for some reason or possibly the stabilizer could have failed in a way. Thanks for any ideas and help!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
There is no circuit breaker that would cause this. Most likely the regulator is faulty. Replacements are
available, but they are solid state and not quite the same as the originals, Both suppliers have them. Just
make sure you order the correct polarity.

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
The original Smiths units are mechanical and therefore sensitive to positioning. To determine if the unit is faulty, it MUST be mounted properly. Including proper vertical/horizontal orientation. Some units are marked “TOP” to make it easy, otherwise make sure it's mounted horizontally, mounting tab at the bottom. You'll need a good connection from the mounting tab to ground ("earth").