• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

installing miata seats

SteveSeriesV

Silver Level Sponsor
have just purchased a nice set of 1996 miata seats and am looking for tips on installation from those who have done this before. Happy New Year everyone!!

AlpineII

Donation Time
Haven't tried ehrt Miata seats but I am very interested in your results. I did install some Recarro style racing seats which helpred me put in 3-point harness but totally ruins the nice Alpine lines. They are comfortable as all get-out to drive with! But they gotta go at some point and I want a seat with somewhat of a headrest.

The recarro bolt points were wider than the Alpines. I basically just took some 1/8" steel plate, 2" wide and cut to the length of the seat runners. On an old set of seat runners I ground off the bolt-bracket at the fronts and pivot contact points at the back. I welded the plates onto the runners and drilled the holes in the appropriate spots to bolt the seats to the alpine runners.

There was of course a lot of comparison and in and out to get the exact positoning of ths seats. The Alpine seats are narrow and low so the exact placement could affect access to the centre console. And lord knows you want some room to get your knees under the steering wheel!

SteveSeriesV

Silver Level Sponsor
I have read the article on installation in another vehicle, but didn't find it useful. I spent all day yesterday making a frame (from wood) that would adapt the runners on the miata seats to the alpine floor. I am going to get that made up in iron and give it a try. Will provide more details when it is completed.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Miata Seats

I am looking for some seats for my project also. Having a tall torso, I need a low profile seat. If one of you who have Miata seats could measure from the floor up to the front of the seat surface it would be helpful in helping me determine if they will work for my bod.

Thanks,

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Just an FYI I got Corbeau GT recliners to fit in mine and don't recall it being very difficult. The tilt feature still works too, but being high backed with head rests they only tilt forward 'so' far. Just about any replacement seat will have compromises to the excellent movement features the stock ones have.....