• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Installing a Series III - V dash in a Series II

Jeffrey.Sweeney

Donation Time
My Alpine has the standard dash (wood wasn't an option back then). I would like to install a wooden dash in the car and have been told it is possible and not too difficult. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this so I can have a better judge of how hard it really is and what modifications need to be accomplished to complete the install. The wooden dash sure does look nice.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jeffery,

The bolt locations at ends and screws all fit the same spots.. So as far as fitting its direct.

However the wood dash uses a diffetent glove box cubby as it has to screw into the back of the dash as it doesnt use the bakerkite surround. The heater controls also require a mounting bracker as its not moulded into the dash like a plastic one. ( danR used to make the brackets) you will also need a siv/v heater escutcheon panel if you want to have the conyrols labeled... Or label onto the timber.

If you are buying one from a supllier they will have additional holes for the warming lights on the series 3-V that didn't mount thrm in the gauges like Si/ii. You fill them or blank them.

The glovebox door is an aftermarket part.. The GT dashes never had them from the factory.

If you want to use your existing cubby snd surround the series V GT used a timber veneer over the plastic and kept the glovebox surround. You could buy a siv/ v dash and do that ( your dash has raised areas around the gauges and heater controls)

Jeffrey.Sweeney

Donation Time
Thank you Michael. I'm looking at the following dash - B in the photos. It sounds like a few minor tweaks and such but nothing major. I can handle that. The seller has all the mounting brackets for the heater. I'm going to have the Bakelite steering wheel refinished with a watching veneer. Hopefully it will look good.

Attachments

• DSCN1791.JPG
    DSCN1791.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN1792.JPG
    DSCN1792.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN1793.JPG
    DSCN1793.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 44

alpine_64

Donation Time
Nice looking dash, but missing the white lettering for the controls.

You could use the series iv/v metal tags used on the plastic dash cars.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
If the option is A or B, you may want to consider the mat finish - you may get some glare off of the shiny one.

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
The early and late series knee bars have different widths between the bottom studs (about 2 or 3 inches) going thru the dash to the support brackets.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
You may have to get creative to accommodate the differences in stud positions mentioned by Knightowl61 above. If you do decide to do this, this video on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube may be of use as it shows how we make glove boxes for these modern dashboards with closing wooden doors. We also fit lights and USB charges for phones and Sat Nav inside these glove boxes.

Best Wishes,

Tim R