• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

inop temp guage

Jim Bailey

Donation Time
i have a 67 sunbeam with an inop temp guage. i'd like to keep it stock so can i buy a new guage or do folks know of someone who rebuilds them?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Hi, and welcome.

Check out this thread:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18970
Since the temp and fuel gauge are both voltage displays in disguise, the tests listed will work for either.

We can also go into ways to test the sender on the engine, and the wiring of the 10V regulator under the dash as well. If it does turn out to be the gauge itself, as you indicated, then even a fuel gauge should work as the basis for a rebuild. It would be pretty straightforward to change the "units" card and the "temp" panel that hides the meter movement.

Those with extras to sell will also be along soon.

And if you need it, check out the downloadable manual on the main page of the site, under Technical Data.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
In the end, if it is the gauge, you might also want to check around before spending the money to have it rebuilt. Late series temperature gauges are pretty plentiful I imagine you could find one here or on eBay for a lot less than the cost of rebuilding yours.

Jim Bailey

Donation Time
the sending unit for the temp guage is new and i checked the continuity between the sending unit and the guage and that was ok, however my fuel guage is also inop so maybe it's the voltage regulator? thanks for your ideas in advance.

agmason54

Donation Time
bum temp gauge

Jim
The voltage regulator under the dash also works on the fuel gauge so if the gas gauge works then you may just have a bad temp gauge...
Al