• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

In need of help

Randy

Diamond Level Sponsor
Background Info -
1960 Sunbeam Alpine
V6 Conversion kit purchased from Joe (about 10 years ago)
This is my first time doing the conversion.
We are working on it right now.

The Problem -
So far we've tried to mount the engine and transmission in my '60 alpine, However, when we mounted transmission using the second set of holes (the furthest set of holes which brings the engine and trans. to the rear of the car) on the cross member, it does not give us enough clearance for the steering arms to clear the headers. If we use the first set of mounting holes (the set of holes that place the engine closer to the front of the car) on the cross member, we are unable to mount the headers to the engine.

Our Ideas -
If I slot the trans. mount holes in the trans. cross member and slide the engine forward the headers are a really tight fit and might not clear the wheel wells. I might even have to pound the wheel wells out to make the clearance. Is this conversion that tight of a fit? As it looks now, before doing the slots, I don't think it would fit.

Does anyone have any pictures of how close the headers should be when mounting the engine? Any advice on this conversion would be greatly appreciated!

- Randy

Update -
I noticed that the new convo. kits have slotted trans. bolt mounts. Therefore, I just finished slotting the cross member trans. mounts and I am now trying to decide on how to mount the engine. I'm still having trouble clearing the headers from the wheel wells and steering arms. I pulled the engine as far forward as possible and I'm debating if I should pound the frame out or dent the headers. Has anyone had this problem? I'm doing this conversion as I type on this forum. I can't wait to get the mounts welded and the engine settled!!

Thanks,
-Randy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi RFandy,

I'm thrilled that you are working on getting your Alpine converted. You have done the first thing that should be done to an early kit. The holes need to be slotted together, so the engine can sit where the passenger side header clears the steering arm by about .060. As far as the clearance for the headers on both sides, some cars are even narrower than others, in the engine bay. You might need to bang yhe frame rail out a bit on the passenger side, so that you have enough room for the header. I strongly recommend not denting the header tube, because you will not have even breathing on each cylinder. The frame can be dented pretty easily, especially if you heat the spot with a torch first. Once you have dented the frame rail .500/.750, you should have no more trouble locating the engine.

Jose

Jim E

Donation Time
On my SV I needed to dimple the frame horn on the one side. We just heated it with the tourch and beat it a little.

Randy

Diamond Level Sponsor
Last night, a beating to both sides is what we gave it. It fits nice. We're going to put the crank pulleys on today and center the engine front to back and side to side so the headers clear the steering arms as well as the frame rails. No, I was not going to beat on my headers. They would change the performance and also they look too nice with the ceramic coating on them.

Randy

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, it's in there. We massaged it some to fit. Looks real nice. Next thing is to get the other stuff sorted out.

Randy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
HOORAH!!!!! Glad you'r done with the hardest part. Now it should go easier for you. It won't be long now.

Jose :D

Well, it's in there. We massaged it some to fit. Looks real nice. Next thing is to get the other stuff sorted out.

Randy