• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

I?m such an idiot!!!!!!

Buckeye64

Donation Time
I’m such an idiot!!!!!!

I had my house sided this past month, because they put a dumpster in my driveway I had to rearrange cars. My SIV auto trans 32K original sits in the garage, I have a MKI Tiger sitting in the driveway waiting for restoration. So here is the IDIOT part, since the Tiger does not run, I pulled the Alpine out of the garage and stored it at my neighbors’ house, outside. Bought a very expensive car cover reported to be water proof and put that on the Alpine. I didn’t put the top up but I put the tonneau cover on. The Tiger I pushed into the garage to make room for the dumpster. This past Saturday with all work on the house completed I pull the Tiger out and I’m going to put the Alpine back in the garage. I uncover the Alpine and find the very expensive car cover is not water proof, there is a big puddle on top of the tonneau cover and water has leaked through the zipper in to the interior. All the original carpet is wet with mold growing on top of the carpet.:( The only carpet I can save may be the tunnel carpet and the driver and passenger carpets in the front of the car. After crying, cursing, I picked myself up and started the clean up. Some good news, after I pulled all the carpet out I discovered no rust on the floor boards.:) This was a welcomed site since the rockers do have rust holes in them.
Question, the new carpet kits come in “loop†or “Fuzzy Pileâ€, which one would be correct for a SIV. Since my Alpine is so original I would like to keep the original appearance of the interior. Any suggestion?

Buckeye 64
“THE BIG IDIOâ€

serIIalpine

Donation Time
The carpet, unless wool, should be colorfast and thereby cleanable with tilex or any other mold remediation cleaners.

I'd give that a try before tossing them.

Clean the seats with lysol liquid cleaner and let them sit in the sun for a day or two.

Good luck

Eric

'62 SerII

howard

Donation Time
I wouldn't say you're an idiot: an idiot wouldn't have taken the precautions you did. The cover was misrepresented, and thus is the culprit. Don't be so hard on yourself!

65beam

Donation Time
idiot

most covers are not waterproof. we do have one that is water repellent. four of my cars set thru a flood a few years ago and the interiors were a mess. you would be surprised how well you can clean the carpets. i used regular home carpet cleaner to clean them all. the seats were cleaned with regular upholstery cleaner although the foams had to be trashed.

Buckeye64

Donation Time
It was called "The Max Car Cover"

The story I received from the seller is that all covers are water repellent and water proof up to a point. Because of the way the cover is made it also has to be able to breathe as to not hold the moisture inside, so this makes the covers not totally waterproof. I ask at what point does it not becomes waterproof. Of course no one could answer that question. So I then ask how can you advertise the cover to be waterproof, the guy then said because it is. I told him you just told me it wasn’t.:confused: At this point I was frustrated and I was getting nowhere with this guy so I just said thanks for ruining my carpet and I will be expressing my dislike of your product with others.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Most "waterproof" car, motorcycle and boat covers assume that water will not be allowed to pool on it's surface as they are usually made of woven or pressed fibers that have been treated with silicone or some other petrochemical which have the characteristic of "repelling" water by not braking the surface tension of droplets of water that would otherwise seep between the fibers of the cover. If you look at the literature that came with the cover it will probably say that areas where water can pool should be avoided as this can happen. This is why may boat covers are shaped like tents.

Unless it either incorporates an non-perforated plastic/rubber/vinyl membrane (ie: visqueen) you have to assume that water will eventually seep through any cover no matter the claims made by the manufacturer or it's exorbitant cost.

I'm sorry about your car but this is pretty much what you are dealing with.

You can write to the manufacturer including pictures of the damage as well as the cost of cleaning/repairs and at least you should expect a reimbursement for the cost of the cover if not more.

Eric

'62 SerII

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
There will also be an issue of condensation on humid days. If you have a pool of cool water, being held up by visqueen, but there's hot humid air infiltrating the car, you'll get condensation on the coldest thing in the area, the visqueen cooled by the pool of water. Drops will form on the bottom of the visqueen, and drip on the interior, too. Not as much as an actual leak, of course, but it'll still be wet enough to start mold. Scan some boating forums, and I'm sure you'll find discussions of causes and solutions...

Ken

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I only use visqueen to hold water in not out.

i only used it as an example.

Most covers made with visqueen or other non-porous materials usually have vents or flaps to allow humidity to escape.

Eric

'62 SerII