• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How to remove brake cylinders?

av8rbum

Donation Time
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to remove the clip that holds the rear brake cylinder on. Any ideas? It's on my Series I Alpine.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Push it back with a big flathead screw driver then pull it the rest of the way with a pair of pliers.

Good Luck

av8rbum

Donation Time
Thanks...that did the trick.

I just received my Sunbeam workshop manual and it detailed the procedure. There are supposed to be three clips...I'm missing one (distance plate). The spring plate has two prongs that face away from the backing plate and goes on first, with the prongs facing away from the handbrake lever. Insert the handbrake lever and secure it. Then, install the retaining clip, which has notches for the prongs on the spring clip. Slip (or in my case, force) the retaining clip with the open ends towards the handbrake lever...when it clips into place the two prongs fit nicely in the slots. the distance plate is on top of the others (it also has two prongs like the spring clip), but in reality you need to put it on first...the other two clips fit behind it.

If the spring and retaining plates are fitted together right, they do not come apart.

i've got my left side done...now I have to do the right side.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Same Problem Here

I have an early SI and I'm having an impossible time getting the Retaining Plate and Spring Plate off. I have beaten the crap out of the two tangs of the Retainer Plate and it will not budge. It's like it's locked on and when I hit it with a screwdriver and hammer it's like hitting a solid chunk of steel.

I can grip the opposite end with pliers but it won't pull off either.

I've soaked it with break cleaner and I've raised the tabs a little bit just in case it was rusted to the Spring Plate. It does not appear to be.

I too do not have the Dust Cover or the Distance Plate on either side as shown in the Workshop Manual.

Do you have any little tips I might try because after an hour of working on it I'm not getting anywhere. :mad:

Thanks for any and all help!

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Good News

Hey boys and girls, good news! I got the spring clips off. :) Just in case you're having the same problem I thought I'd share more information on how to remove the Retaining Plate and Spring Plate.

The Workshop Manual says, "Using a screwdriver, 'prise' the retaining plate (7) and spring plate (18) apart."

I thought that was a misprint as assumed "prise" meant "pry". Well it sort of does but is more defined; "...pry can be to use leverage to open or widen (see also prise and prize) while prise is to force (open) with a lever..."

With that thought I twisted a screwdriver between the Retainer Plate and Break Frame. With the screwdriver wedging the Retainer Plate up away from the Spring Plate, I was able to tap the Retainer Plate away from the Spring Plate, piece of cake!

Here's a picture of the screwdriver wedged in place.

attachment.php

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Attachments

• Prise.jpg
    Prise.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 24