• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How much for an entry level Tiger

mike in CA

Donation Time
Now that i have my Alpine, and have caught the bug as it were. I was wondering what one should expect to pay for an entry level Tiger. Say one that needs work, but is not all rusted out. I know there are a ton of variables, but it seems the ones I see that look good are all over 35K and everything else I see is a rusted out heap for under 8K. aren't there any middle of the road ones out there that are in the 10-15K range?

Mike

mikephillips

Donation Time
That's a hard question to answer since we don't know what really constitutes entry level to you. By work do you mean runs, drives but needs freshening up, or possibly a decent "barn" find needing a general restoration. Complete with hardtop and parts like an air cleaner, or incomplete. In general terms an ok runner needing paint and interior replacement will probably start in the low to mid teens. But it'll depend as well on where you find it. being in California, if you want a local car you're probably going to pay a premium over what you would for a similiar condition in say the midwest or southern states since they're more popular in your area.

There's always the chance of being in the right place at the right time and getting a deal you can't walk away from. But it's unlikely.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
240261b0-6ecc-4306-a628-8f829f8ca016csmedarm01d.jpg

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

As Mike P stated it really depends upon your budget and what you are looking for. In my opinion, an 'entry level' Tiger would need freshening up but is running and roadworthy. Basically a car that you can still enjoy on the weekends and work on it during the week. The only down side is that the cost would certainly be higher (based upon what Mike P stated, could be up around the $15-20K mark and maybe higher.

Regards, Robin.

mike in CA

Donation Time
I guess the best way to describe an entry level to me is how I bought my first British sports car. It was a 59' Bugeye Sprite. The body was rust free but the paint was very faded. The car was between 85% and 90% all there and what was there was all original. The engine and tranny were useable as is. However the car was dissasembled to a bare roller. The doors and hood were off and the engine and tranny pulled seperately so they were not together. Gauges were in boxes as were the rest of the dash pieces. It was fortunately stored in a garage, so nothing was very rusty. It just needed cleaning and painting. I took a chance that the engine and tranny were servicable by installing them as is, and they were. It had been apart for many years and the guy just lost interest in working on it. So, something in that condition or one that needs mechanical or cosmetic work as long as it is not rusted. What do you think a Tiger like that should go for? I have the Alpine to drive, so it is not imperative that it be a road worthy driver as long as it is not rusted or completely thrashed needing $25K in work. Thanks guys!

Mike

64beam

Donation Time
I guess the best way to describe an entry level to me is how I bought my first British sports car. It was a 59' Bugeye Sprite. The body was rust free but the paint was very faded. The car was between 85% and 90% all there and what was there was all original. The engine and tranny were useable as is. However the car was dissasembled to a bare roller. The doors and hood were off and the engine and tranny pulled seperately so they were not together. Gauges were in boxes as were the rest of the dash pieces. It was fortunately stored in a garage, so nothing was very rusty. It just needed cleaning and painting. I took a chance that the engine and tranny were servicable by installing them as is, and they were. It had been apart for many years and the guy just lost interest in working on it. So, something in that condition or one that needs mechanical or cosmetic work as long as it is not rusted. What do you think a Tiger like that should go for? I have the Alpine to drive, so it is not imperative that it be a road worthy driver as long as it is not rusted or completely thrashed needing $25K in work. Thanks guys!

Mike

Hi Mike,

The way I read your post, it sounds like you want an incomplete project that someone has lost interest in or cannot afford any longer but is basically complete. If the vehicle is basically complete, but needing assembly I would think you would still pay in the mid to high teens if not more. That would be a good project as long as the puzzle is complete ;) .

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time

Thats quite funny kevin... but i guess a decent project tiger is still in many ways better value than many other classics.

I believe that for a decent tiger project you are looking at US$12-15 for a car either in parts but very solid.. or an older tired resto missing some parts and needing some body work.

Ultimately any project will depend on what is missing, what needs fixing and how many people want it. A complete tiger with very rusty spring hangers and X frame is ultimately gogin to be a very expensive proposition... but it all depends on skill, time and inclination.. or cubic meters of money!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I was just kidding, of course, Michael. I do realise the value of these cars - heck, I used to own a Tiger as well, and I've had a great many cars which now are worth 10X what I paid for them.

chris

Donation Time
I believe that for a decent tiger project you are looking at US$12-15 for a car either in parts but very solid.. or an older tired resto missing some parts and needing some body work.QUOTE]

If anyone finds a Tiger like that let me know too. I'll bring cash and a car trailer.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I was just kidding, of course, Michael. I do realise the value of these cars - heck, I used to own a Tiger as well, and I've had a great many cars which now are worth 10X what I paid for them.

Comon story Kevin.. dont feel bad.. when i was 17 i boought my alpine... at the same time i came across a 1969 LWB Porsche 911S.. i bought that too.. 22K.. now.. i decided i couldnt afford to insure/fix or in general own the 911 so i sold it... that was 1997.. fast forward to 2009 and the 911S is worth 100K+.. the alpine is worth about what it was in 1997! Hindsight is always 20/20

Sownman

Donation Time
Keep an eye on ebay and craigs list. Bargains appear regularly. I checked out one near me that had all the difficult pieces a very straight body. Engine partially disassembled, good paint and interior. Dash board on floor and all gauges dangling by wires but all were there including clock. Boot was full of engine and trim parts mostly just returned from a rechrome. On top of that it was an LROFE car only the 52nd one to appear. Sold for $12000.

Broke my heart that I didn't have the money or space myself but it went to a good home in England.

mike in CA

Donation Time
If I had kept all the old cars i sold for what seemed a good price then, I would be rich. Between the 63 e-type jag I sold for 4K the 69 GTO and 68 California Special Mustang with a factory Hi PO 390 that I let go for next to nothing years ago. The 66 Mini I sold for $800, the 63 Impala SS convertible I sold for $500, The Bugeye Sprite and MG's i sold for a few hundred. I could go on but it makes me cringe. If we all knew what these cars would be worth today, we never would have sold them. At least I had the opportunity to own and drive so many cars that became hugely expensive classics as they were so cheap back in the day. I feel sorry for the younger folks today that can't afford to ever own such a car. And they just keep getting more expensive. Gone are the days of buying an old British sports car or American Muscle car for a few hundred bucks and fixing it up. I was lucky to have lived when things were really cheap to buy and fix and had the luck of owning a ton of really great cars. I guess I will have to be satisfied with my Alpine and AC Cobra replica. Not too bad!

Sownman

Donation Time
But as young folks they can make lots more money than we could as young folks. I worked for $1.85 an hour in 1966 and managed to buy a Lotus Cortina which as you relate I also stupidly sold.

Steve

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Past resident's of Puff's Garage:

1954 Swallow Doretti (SN #1216 - 216th car made, one of the last)
1958 Turner 950S (SN # 30/068 - one of only 2 steel-bodied Turners ever manufactured)
1959 Austin A40 Farina
1959 Morris Mini-Minor (race car)
1961 Sabra Sport (SN #200049 - 49th car made)
1963 Daimler SP250, aka "Dart", series "C"
1964 Chevrolet BelAir Station Wagon
1965 Elva Courier MKIV (race car)
1965 Chevrolet Malibu SS Convertible (283 V8 w/ 3-speed & Overdrive)
1966 Sunbeam Tiger (parts car)
1967 Sunbeam Tiger
1971 Austin Marina (yes, really)
1974 Ford Pinto wood-sided wagon (again... yes, really)
(2) Triumph 2000's
(3) Triumph Spitfires
(13) Austin Healey Sprites
(1) MG Midget

Plus the current residents, below. I won't even get into the prices... although I made money on virtually every one, I still wish to God I had every blasted one of them now.

*sigh*

agmason

Donation Time
"1954 Swallow Doretti" I almost bought one instead of my Tiger back in '94. I called the ad and checked it out but someone had a deposit on it by the time I saw it. Tube frame, alloy body, TR2 running gear if my memory is correct. Overall, the car was in good shape only missing the grille which the owner said he could give me a contact who had an extra. From what I remember, Swallow was part of Jaguar's begining and built mostly sidecars. They wanted to branch out and build cars but it didn't work out.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
"1954 Swallow Doretti" I almost bought one instead of my Tiger back in '94. I called the ad and checked it out but someone had a deposit on it by the time I saw it. Tube frame, alloy body, TR2 running gear if my memory is correct. Overall, the car was in good shape only missing the grille which the owner said he could give me a contact who had an extra. From what I remember, Swallow was part of Jaguar's begining and built mostly sidecars. They wanted to branch out and build cars but it didn't work out.

Actually, it worked out fine... too fine... the car was a very good competitor to Jaguar and Triumph and they didn't like the competition, so they started starving Swallow for supplies, and that was the death knell.

If you look carefully at the styling of both cars, you can see that Donald Healey really did largely steal the Doretti's design for his BN1 Austin-Healeys.