• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How much do you drive?

tigretr

Donation Time
I am currently in the process of rebuilding my motor after 4000 miles of very hard driving (my right foot has 2 speeds, on and off). What started as a progressively worse rear main seal leak (I have a rope seal in my 1725), devolved into a lower end blueprinting and cam bearing rebuild among other things. Looking through my records and calculating how many miles the motor had on it, I started wondering how many miles per year Alpines (of whatever flavor) are generally driven.

My current turbo motor came to life in 2008. There were a few year+ long projects in between, but doing the math gets me 4000/15= 266mi per year.

How many miles are your cars getting each year?

Brian

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
I've never looked at mileage before, but had a pic of my odometer from May 2020.
checked now.

If it is accurate, Ive done 2261 miles in just over 3 years so ~750/year.
I generally use my SIII-GT weekly and mostly shorter trips.. I think I did a 100 mile day once.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
I regularly drive, 1959 Singer with 1965 Alpine drive train, in excess of 3000 miles per year (May to mid October).

Tom13

Donation Time
Hi Brian,

it's been ages since I've heard from you. I thought you had given up the Alpine hobby? Should
you ever visit Germany again you are of course invited to a barbecue and a small small - or large -
beer with me.

Your question,

My tuned engine has now since 2014 about 16000 km on the clock. So far still without
problems and unopened.

regards

Tom

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom, out of curiosity, where are you located in Germany. My wife, adult daughter and I are heading over in late August.

By coincidence, also Brian.

Tom13

Donation Time
Hello,
I live in Saarbrücken, near the French border and about 120 miles
from Frankfurt / Main. Should you have time I look forward to your visit

Tom

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I put the Orange Alpine on the road in 2007, zero miles on the odometer. It had 113,000 miles on it when it was crashed into in 2021. During that time the engine went from turbo Pinto 2000 to N/A Pinto 2000. Then to 2001Ranger Duratec 2.3, followed by a 2010 Fusion Duratec 2.5. We made several long trips during that period. We were heading toward a Pacific to Atlantic summer, but I crashed onto the floor, leading to a fractured skull and nine days in a coma instead of the Atlantic trip.
The majority of the miles, about 65,000 were made on the junkyard Fusion engine. Cost $500 with 50,000 miles on it. I contend there is nothing special about racking up zillions of miles in an Alpine with a modern engine. Guys that drive a stock, 50 year old Alpine1500 miles to a United need special recognition.
Bill

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hello,
I live in Saarbrücken, near the French border and about 120 miles
from Frankfurt / Main. Should you have time I look forward to your visit

Tom
While I will be in your vicinity (we will be in both Metz and Heidelberg) for a couple days, I'm not sure I will be able to meet up with you on this trip. I will be relocating to the UK after the first of the year for a year long work assignment, perhaps we can work something out next year? Sadly, I dont think I will be shipping my Sunbeam to the UK. That looks to be crazy expensive.

tigretr

Donation Time
That is awesome. I am glad to hear some of you are getting some good miles in. I am hoping to make some life changes pretty soon to free up more time for life outside of work, especially my car....and wife!

Tom,
It is great to hear from you. Nothing could keep me away from my Alpine. It is a constant work in progress.

tigretr

Donation Time
Bill,
Wow, 113,000 miles. That is impressive. Sorry to hear about the end result! Glad you made it through. I did the coma thing once for 3 days. It's not recommended! Mine was bicycle and deer induced!

Tom,
I will definitely be in Germany next year. My wife and kids are there now. I made it as far as Iceland and Ireland this year. Hopefully we can get together next year. I was recently looking for your email address. I will PM you so we can catch up.

Brian

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Been a while since I have been to the bay area. I used to get there for work quite often.

Brian

Last edited:

Tom13

Donation Time
Aladin,
just get in touch when you have time and with a little luck we can meet. If not
this year then maybe in the time while you are in the UK.
You are welcome.

Brian,
I really hope you will find your way to Saarbrücken.
And now I am waiting for a friend to join me in the UK for the Sunbeam Alpine National.

Tom

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
the Speedo and clock don’t work on my ‘67 so I can’t tell you how many miles or amount of time I’ve spent in it.

i enjoy each mile and hour behind the wheel.

my ‘66? Scares the daylights out of me, it’s so quick. I don’t watch the ODO.

alpine_64

Donation Time
My series II with twin DCOE was my primary car for a long time, but I often used public transport as I studied and worked in the CBD.. so I tended to use it on weekends or evenings... Between 1996-2008 I probably put an average of 6000miles a year.

I still happily do trips to historic racing events in regional areas and will do a round trip of 260miles in the day in the alpine.. it's actually a better cruiser than the tiger now with its 3.89 overdrive and 195/65/14 tyres.