• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How abut this motor in your Alpine?

Nickodell

Donation Time
Airmotor.jpg

skywords

Donation Time
I would not mind the motor it's the fuel cells that bother me 4230 psi would level three city blocks in the event of a rupture. Nick I'll be glad to convert Matilda for you :)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's a motor that runs on compressed air. Supposed to get 100 miles on a full tank of air at 4300 psi. I believe it is being built by the Indian company Tata. Supposed to go on sale later this year.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Rick: Thanks, but Matilda prefers AVGAS.

It's the motor for The Compressed Air Car, developed by Motor Development International (MDI) Founder Guy Negre. The $12,700 CityCAT, one of the planned Air Car models, reaches 68 mph, goes for a range of 125 miles. It will take only a few minutes for the CityCAT to refuel at gas stations equipped with custom air compressor units. MDI says it should cost only around $2 to fill the car up with 340 liters of air!

The Air Car will be starting production soon, thanks to India 's TATA Motors.

Sedan:
Aircar.jpg

6-seater taxi:
Aircar2.jpg

These should do well in Washington, with all the hot air available.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I saw this vehicle on some cable show, sounds OK up front, but I cant figure how they deal with the inefficiencies of compressing air to that pressure (both mechanical conversion and adiabatic heating losses).

If the electricity comes from coal or oil, such a power plant is worse on the environment than a small petrol engine.

I can only see this as viable if we go fully nuclear or someone discovers natural 4000 PSI air supplies.

BTW, I didnt recognize the engine, and for the live of me cant figure out the function and need for all those Cam/Crank cogs.