• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How about a cheap replacement rad for an Alpine?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Rather than modifying the crossmember, why not just have the radiator nipple moved? It is simpler and cheaper, plus it doesn´t run the risk of weakening the crossmember.

Jose

I ended up getting an '89 Volvo 740 that FILLS that whole area perfectly, I will have to notch the crossmember for the hose clearance, so it's not a bolt in. All in another day of hotrodding, not a big deal. I also am making the hood hinge mounting panel removable. The panel where the radiator mounts will be made new to even more perfectly fit the radiator core opening.

Brian

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Rather than modifying the crossmember, why not just have the radiator nipple moved? It is simpler and cheaper, plus it doesn´t run the risk of weakening the crossmember.

Jose

Agreed.

That sure is a painful modification to avoid a custom radiator...

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The Alpine has no chronic overheating problems, unlike the Tiger. What drives owners to start hacking up the Alpine to create a backyard solution that's looking for a problem?
I mentioned earlier, the repair is to re-cored it.... it's done, finished.
Jan

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've posted this before but seems few are listening.....Others more experienced have also made some very worth while comments based upon their time with the Alpines.

The standard Alpine like the Siv and Sv are not notorious at overheating if and I say if you the operator takes the precaution to properly maintained the car's cooling system.

For those wanting an up grade and or replacement to their car's radiator can have a re-core for under $500.00 and get a three (3) tube seventeen (17) fin core that is more than adequate.

The tubes allow the coolant to move but the fins are more important at dissipating the heat.

One of my cars so fitted has not run hot in the hottest weather even when running the A/C I installed.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Again, the Alpines are NOT prone to overheating (if everything is right). If there is a problem, its usually a few things: The engine has been neglected for decades and is full a sediment to the point that no coolant flowing around inside the block, and two, the radiator is blocked with sediment & crap, so the tubes can't flow any coolant. I can't believe some owners go off and try to re-engineer the radiator problem, when all it requires is a simple re-core repair. This is a common repair job, but why do some people go off on a tangent and hack up the car (cutting the cross-member for clearance and so on) and using a junk yard radiator.....and it's used...and probably shot as well??!!

Jan

Last edited:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Again, the Alpines are NOT prone to overheating (if everything is right). If there is a problem, its usually a few things: The engine has been neglected for decades and is full a sediment to the point that no coolant flowing around inside the block, and two, the radiator is blocked with sediment & crap, so the tubes can't flow any coolant. I can't believe some owners go off and try to re-engineer the radiator problem, when all it requires is a simple re-core repair. This is a common repair job, but why do some people go off on a tangent and hack up the car (cutting the cross-member for clearance and so on) and using a junk yard radiator.....and it's used...and probably shot as well??!!

Jan

I agree. So many times the simple things are forgotten. It's like tearing a distributor apart when all that was wrong was the condensor was shot.
Or maybe the coil is just about finished and there is a backfire. Then something really serious must have happened and the motor needs to,be examined

MARTINSR

Donation Time
Guys, I appreciate your input, even if you are calling me a moron. :D Honestly, I appreciate all you have said.

What I have is very rough car, one missing about half it's parts. I got it for next to nothing for my teenage son. We bought a Pinto motor for it. The original Alpine motor was trash without a head sitting in the rain for 10 years. The front clip has been spliced with frame rails buckled, it needs a LOT of work and will not be original. I am not butchering up a nice car, or even close to nice, it is a POS that I am going to save from the crusher.

So, I have no stock radiator to re-core. I have been offered a stock one and maybe that is the best way to go. But a small notch in the crossmember won't do a thing to harm it, it will be boxed back in and as strong as new.

I have done plenty of hot rod fabrication, heck, chopped the top on my 48 Chevy pickup 40 years ago when I was 15 years old, put a mid engine Buick 401 in it with the carb between the bucket seats when I was 19, I have done a lot of hot rod fab stuff so this isn't a big deal.

I was looking for a very simple way to get a late model radiator. I have access to them whole sale so I can get them pretty cheap. That is what I was after.

Again, I appreciate all your help guys and will continue to ask stupid questions and appreciate anything you can throw my way to help me get this car on the road. My son has been working on it and I am thrilled at teaching him if nothing else.

Brian, thanks again guys.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I would then recore my stock radiator like Jan suggested, so you don´t need to cut into the cropssmember. Cutting into the crossmember is serious business. If it isn´t done carefully, you can weaken it and then you´ve got real problems.

Sometimes the cheap thing to do isn´t the best way to go. Pop for a recore with a heavy duty three row core, and you´ll be a happy camper.

Jose

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Brian, is that radiator from maybe a 72-74 series 144-5 Volvo?

Looks like one I have saved from the salvage yard.

I have a '63 Volvo P1800 in storage to get back-on-the-road someday....

DanR

MARTINSR

Donation Time
I would then recore my stock radiator like Jan suggested, so you don´t need to cut into the cropssmember. Cutting into the crossmember is serious business. If it isn´t done carefully, you can weaken it and then you´ve got real problems.

Sometimes the cheap thing to do isn´t the best way to go. Pop for a recore with a heavy duty three row core, and you´ll be a happy camper.

Jose

Jose, to tell you where I am at in fabrication skills, I could make that crossmember from scratch in an afternoon, notching it is about as tough and complex as eating my breakfast. Honestly, it's no big deal.

Brian

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Volvette?

Jim, for that kind of money it looks great! However, for me to do something similar it would cost that much or more for my car!

SC will be the home of the next Volvo Mfg base just down the road from me (!50 miles). Maybe I can get some free tips from the experts....;)

One of our fellow Beamers has a nice 1800 coupe (Doug Miller).

My plans are not near as elaborate. Have the original 4 banger w/O/D (30-35 K on rebuilt engine B18 dual carbs) and a possible implant of the '79 Volvo w/4sp O/D (28K miles) or a 90 Camaro 2.8 5Sp auto w/everything (needs rebuild).

Like the early style seats of the 1800 even without the headrest.

I currently have too many things on my plate to even think that far ahead. So, back to the Green1 and the Red GT.