• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Horn Ring Assembly Question

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Long story short, I had a broken horn ring, ordered the one from Our Guy Rick at SS, followed the instructions and now have a 'fixed' horn ring with some caveats - it's missing a spring and I found a much larger copper spring in the console box that wasn't in the assembly, so I am assuming based on other threads here that it belongs in the horn ring center.

I installed the horn ring into the steering wheel and decided to go with an "Easy Wire Kit" that is set up for a relay (complete with a fuse setup built into the line) but you have to buy it separately because the manufacturer sucks. So I did and it's all assembled, nice and neat. Gave it juice and nothing. I pressed the horn and it came on and I was pleased.... until it wouldn't stop blowing!

I have read that the springs are copper PLATED and since I am missing a spring I'm thinking of just buying some copper springs from Home Depot and call it a day. Thoughts?

Also, can somehow post a picture or briefly detail what exactly is supposed to be on the horn ring assembly so I can see if I'm missing something or need to adjust/do something else?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If your horn is sticking, you don't have it adjusted correctly. The spacing on the copper plate has to be done so it just barely moves. Too
much space your ring will hit the steering wheel, too little the horn is on as soon as you turn the ign key on. You can get it working
without the large spring, but it doesn't work as well.

I think if you post a picture of what you have, it might be easier to see what's wrong. There are instructions that come with the
ring as far as spacing goes. I know the last ring I installed came all assembled, ready to put on the wheel. That one worked
really easily!

Cheers!
Steve

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Check out this pretty good diagram of it all from the Alpine Guide. It may help.

Rick
S3-5 horn ring info.jpg

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I have been looking for this for ages. Thank you. I am missing the #6 isolators, couldn't figure that part out. Couple pieces of shrink tube should fit that, or an old ink pen refill maybe.