• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hood issue

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
When I close the hood the hinges contact the back side of the grill and pushes it out.
I might be able to shift the hinges aft but it would negate the two forward attach points.
See attachmenthood issue.jpg

Any ideas?

AlsPine

Donation Time
Not familiar with series 1/2 hinges, must be different from the later ones.
Are there adjustment slots on the hood attachment and body attachment points?
If so can you slide the body point of he hinge up, then slid the hood down?
There must be a way to adjust them, as from the factory the hinge wouldn't do that.
The only other solution would be to take the hinge out and cut off the the part that it pushing the grill out
if that wouldn't damage the integrity of the hinge.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Could be that you have different hinges from original and adjustment needs tweaking. My series II come very close but do not touch and I know they are original.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
The series 1 and 2 hood hinges are different, the hood does not open as far. Are you sure your hinges are series 2? In this picture you can see the difference.
i-t6PknW9-XL.jpg

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
I had the same problem. S-I/II hoods didn't open near as wide as late series. Putting late series hinges on early series hit the grill where as the late series grills only have the center bar. S-3 was the only car to have the grill and hood open wide. I put S-3 hinges on my S-II and they just barely touch the grill.

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Alls well that ends well. Looking at the picture of the day I got the project, it might look like the grill, bad as it was, might be sticking out.
The hinges are definitely the later design.
After multiple R&R's and a lot of grinding it now fits properly.

Attachments

• 1-1a November 2019 a.JPG
    1-1a November 2019 a.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 16
  • hood issue after.jpg
    hood issue after.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 17
  • hood issue before.jpg
    hood issue before.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 16