• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Home garage ramps

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If your floor jack is one of the large trolley jacks as used in service bays, use it and make up some stands like these:
http://www.bacomatic.org/~dw/tool/cstand/cstand.htm

Lift the car one end at a time by placing the jack under the differential or crossmember and lift one half of it at a time. That will produce no excess frame stress. If your jack is not of the trolley type, get one. You will always thank yourself for being so thoughtful.

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I always used jackstands. My wife still didn't like the idea of me laying under the car and made me buy a lift. Man, she's always telling me what to do. ;)

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
If your floor jack is one of the large trolley jacks as used in service bays, use it and make up some stands like these:
http://www.bacomatic.org/~dw/tool/cstand/cstand.htm

Lift the car one end at a time by placing the jack under the differential or crossmember and lift one half of it at a time. That will produce no excess frame stress. If your jack is not of the trolley type, get one. You will always thank yourself for being so thoughtful.

Bill

Hi Bill
Yes those were the rage at one time.I think we were making them back in the late 50's as we had to make do with what we had then.Had some but got tired of jacking up the front end so I made my ramps.As I mentioned they have lasted the ages.I do have the large trolly jack and I don't know what I would do with out.Actually I have 3.One is the real long one and 2 are the shorter version.
I can also lift the car up with my block and tackle if it is in the garage.being able to do that does come in handy at times.I also have a trolly which the car can sit up about 36 inches high.Nice thing about that is you can move the whole car around anytime you feel like it.Its usually quite apart when its sitting on the trolley.The wheel skates are good but they need larger wheels than what come with them.The wheels bind on any small stuff on the floor or rough surfaces.I don't use them too often but they can come in handy
Of course the most important thing is to be sure you are safe and don't be stupid when crawling under your car

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, job one when using the wheel skates is to sweep the floor. But I like them, let me move the car around anyway that is necessary. I did not get a trolley jack until 3-4 years ago. Boy, did I kick my ass all over the garage for not getting one waaay sooner.

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had to use wheel skates when I picked up my parts car (3 flat tires). It sat on a slopped slab outside of the garage. When I had all 4 wheels on skates and started pushing, it immediately rolled off of the down sloping slab into about 8 inches of silt, dead leaves and pine straw. I was alone and after several attempts got it jacked up and back on the slab to just have the front roll off again. Mid July in Forida, 95 degrees, 90% humidity. Finally got it moved out far enough that I could hook my truck to it and pull it out. Worked hard for that one.