• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Holbay

skywords

Donation Time
Can anyone explain what Holbay is? I see parts for sale that are Holbay such as a rocker cover with Holbay instead of Sunbeam on it. Was this an aftermarket company or Racing parts? Is this stuff better of worse?

Rick

Wombat

Donation Time
Holbay was a British builder of racing engines. They built for Rootes a twin weber version of the 1725. This engine was used in the 1968 London to Sydney Marathon winning Hillman Hunter and fastback Sunbeam Rapier H120. I am not sure which the engine was originally developed for. It was also used in the Hunter GLS (UK only).

The engine had a different head with inlet ports that were smaller(!!) than stock and a different combustion chamber shape that looks as though it would breathe better. The engine also had different flat top pistons, heavier valve springs, higher compression, longer duration cam, the webers, headers and no doubt other items as well.

Better?? maybe, but I am sure that similar performance could be obtained by other mods. Ther was some debate on the old board about the relative merits of the Holbay head compared to stock.

alpine_64

Donation Time
the holbay motor also ran:

finned alloy sump
oil filter base with temp sender
different dizzy
different cam though there seems to be 2 versions, the production on and the development one (e128?)

the holbay engine is also a slant mounted motor, so it wont bolt dirrectly to an alpine. you need to swap timing covers and also modify or get a new inlet manifold.

The smaller runners were to help with low end torque apparently.

skywords

Donation Time
Thanks guys
E-bay UK under sunbeam alpine is a holbay rocker cover polished very nice and one of those oil filter adapters if anyone is interested, ships worldwide. No bids yet.

Rick