• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hoisting Engine

howard

Donation Time
I know some of you mechanics out there will scoff at this, but I dropped the engine back in my ol' trusty 'Beam yesterday, and it was a HARD AS HECK JOB!!!:eek: I thought it'd be a matter of just using a load leveller on a hoist, etc., and POOF it would all fit together. HA! It took 3 of us to get the thing in! (One hoist operator, one engine guider, and me- under the car with the transmission, trying not to die.)

But VIOLA! Now I can move on to finishing the small stuff and get 'er back on the road! It will be worth it. Eventually.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I know some of you mechanics out there will scoff at this, but I dropped the engine back in my ol' trusty 'Beam yesterday, and it was a HARD AS HECK JOB!!!:eek: I thought it'd be a matter of just using a load leveller on a hoist, etc., and POOF it would all fit together. HA! It took 3 of us to get the thing in! (One hoist operator, one engine guider, and me- under the car with the transmission, trying not to die.)

I don't know why you had such a hard time.I have been doing sunbeams since 1963.Never had to have a helper for R and R.All my boys could do the engine R and R as well.Balancing the engine and tranny slightly to the rear may be the key.I do have a load tilter or balancer you may call it but never use it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've never installed a 1725, but did install the OHC Pinto with 5 speed transmission. Sort of had to corkscrew it in. I think perhaps you are forgetting the main ingredient, Vaseline!

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I've never installed a 1725, but did install the OHC Pinto with 5 speed transmission. Sort of had to corkscrew it in.

I think perhaps you are forgetting the main ingredient, Vaseline!

Bill

Up here in the Great White North we depend on good old bear grease

howard

Donation Time
Yeah- the tranny was attached. Probably would've helped if I'd ever seen anyone do the procedure before.

V_Mad

Donation Time
Maybe you should try dropping the engine/tranny out the bottom. I did the Tiger this way, and it's easily a one man job.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah- the tranny was attached. Probably would've helped if I'd ever seen anyone do the procedure before.

Yes indeed it would help. I sort of grew up with engine removal/replacement and have done several by myself. After a time or two you get to know the pitfalls and what has to be done, even if it is a car you've never messed with. The second will be much easier.

Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
One man, to install. You got to have the right tools
install1.jpg

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I meant to say, you need the right tools and the experience.
I made the engine hoisting thing to save time, because I'm pulling & replacing engines a lot. It's my original idea and I fabricated it, I sold a few of them.
sling.JPG