• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

HLM on Marketplace

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
It seems this HLM on FB Marketplace has a Sunbeam Rapier SII VIN - anyone know anything about it? Located in Santa Maria CA

Sunbeam GT

Donation Time
I looked at this car today. The pictures posted show a car that has been under tarps for 20 years. Missing all Harrington badges, side trim and scripts. Glass excepting vent windows and broken windshield also missing. Parts stored inside car are all the owner has and I didn't see door handles or head light parts. No title but California plate with 1987 tag and as noted in above post VIN with an A prefix. Plenty of rust in lower sections, rockers,fenders, and inner fenders. Couldn't get under the car so that's what I could see. Engine and trans are in place and look to be original and complete with the Harrington valve cover.

The RHD Mk 1 Tiger was nearby so took a quick look. It's missing small parts and has lots of rust in floors and lower structure. Charlie the owner would provide pics for interested buyers I'm sure. I had a good chat with him, he's an experience car guy who collected a number of interesting cars some he didn't get to and now they're for sale.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I looked at this car today. The pictures posted show a car that has been under tarps for 20 years. Missing all Harrington badges, side trim and scripts. Glass excepting vent windows and broken windshield also missing. Parts stored inside car are all the owner has and I didn't see door handles or head light parts. No title but California plate with 1987 tag and as noted in above post VIN with an A prefix. Plenty of rust in lower sections, rockers,fenders, and inner fenders. Couldn't get under the car so that's what I could see. Engine and trans are in place and look to be original and complete with the Harrington valve cover.

The RHD Mk 1 Tiger was nearby so took a quick look. It's missing small parts and has lots of rust in floors and lower structure. Charlie the owner would provide pics for interested buyers I'm sure. I had a good chat with him, he's an experience car guy who collected a number of interesting cars some he didn't get to and now they're for sale.
There was a guy Ryan on FB listing both these cars... The HLM has a rapier VIN it seems... As for the tiger ...there was very little info or pics....but car is a mix of about 5 cars apparently and was sold on BAT in 2016 for 4k

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I posted on FB to Ryan to have him look at the block #s and please post them so maybe we get a clue as to which HLM it is.

Sunbeam GT

Donation Time
There was a guy Ryan on FB listing both these cars... The HLM has a rapier VIN it seems... As for the tiger ...there was very little info or pics....but car is a mix of about 5 cars apparently and was sold on BAT in 2016 for 4k
Ryan is assisting the owner in getting the cars accessible and the facebook posting. According to the owner the HLM was bought in Santa Cruz CA 20 years ago.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tiger is with my friend and Tiger restorer (rust repair is his specialty) near by. I looked it over and "it is" a RHD Tiger project that is in very good hands. May well be marketed in the right hand drive World. When it is completed I will let Michael and all my friends in UK know of its availability.

As to the HLM it is a pig-in-a-poke.

Can someone give me insight as to the VIN with LHX.

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor

jdoclogan,​

Maybe the body is one of the ones with a serial on the firewall?

A > built in 1950's decade

Rapier series II > A380*****

LHX > Left hand drive export

.............. Hardtop

.............. X = non standard

Hope this helps,

Sunbeam Rapier Series 1A3600001September 1956
February 1959
Sunbeam Rapier Series 11A3800001February 1959
to September 1959

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, the VIN should be on the right side cowling as well. LHX makes sense because it is a Rapier number.