• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

History of the Sunbeam Logo

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Can someone 1) tell me what the "correct" Sunbeam logo was during Alpine production and 2) provide me with a pdf (or link to one) of that logo? I have the opportunity to insert it in a presentation that will be seen by executives of all of the major automotive companies next week (long story) and I would like to get it right.

I have seen so many over the years that I am suddenly not sure which one is right. Wikipedia shows what I think is an old one with the sunbeam and crown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunbeam_(car_company)). Then there is the simple "S" that is on some valve covers and the forum. But what about the Roots crest that is on our cars? The SV handbook that is on this site has the Roots logo with "Sunbeam" above it and "Roots Group" below. That is the one I would like to use, if someone has a high quality pdf of the file. Beyond needing it for the presentation, I am really curious about what is correct when, assume there was one correct logo at a time.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Can someone 1) tell me what the "correct" Sunbeam logo was during Alpine production and 2) provide me with a pdf (or link to one) of that logo? I have the opportunity to insert it in a presentation that will be seen by executives of all of the major automotive companies next week (long story) and I would like to get it right.

I have seen so many over the years that I am suddenly not sure which one is right. Wikipedia shows what I think is an old one with the sunbeam and crown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunbeam_(car_company)). Then there is the simple "S" that is on some valve covers and the forum. But what about the Roots crest that is on our cars? The SV handbook that is on this site has the Roots logo with "Sunbeam" above it and "Roots Group" below. That is the one I would like to use, if someone has a high quality pdf of the file. Beyond needing it for the presentation, I am really curious about what is correct when, assume there was one correct logo at a time.

Jim,

You say "Sunbeam" logo.. not the rootes talbot lion.. I can think of a few.. there is the "sunbeam" script as seen on the rapier fastbacks and MKII tigers.. this was actually already around in the early 60's.. it was on the RAPIER rally car transporters. There is the red "S" with sunbeam script which yuo seen on tiger and alpine racers in the 60's and their brouchures.. but this is USA based i feel.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It rather does depend on what year your talking about. Earlier Sunbeam Alpines used the 'talbot' logo, whilst later Sunbeams used a simple "S" logo.

Here is a scan of one side of the Sunbeam Owners Club documentation (an 'official' club with factory sanction) from around 1966, which depicts a common interpretation of the logo:

Ksbeam1.jpg

...and their badge, which shows it a bit better:

KSunbeamTalbotBadge.jpg

Now, later on they moved to a more simple logo. This was commonly seen on spares:

sunbeam2.jpg

And this is yet another later logo, used towards the end of the Sunbeam line:

Klogo.jpg