• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hillman Minx IIIC

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Anyone out there own and drive a Hillman Minx IIIC with the manual transmission?

Send me a PM or email... I have some questions.

Steve

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve,

Which shifter type do you need to discuss, column change, direct floor change, or remote floor change? I am not sure that I can answer what you need to know, but I can attempt to check something in the Hillman service manual for you.

HTH,

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
The IIIC we have has the floor change on the floor. I am not sure if it is possible to change the gearbox to an Alpine gearbox.... if you move the shift linkage portion from one box to the other.

Any chance you know the ratios in the 61' Minx IIIC gear box?

Steve

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
The IIIC we have has the floor change on the floor. I am not sure if it is possible to change the gearbox to an Alpine gearbox.... if you move the shift linkage portion from one box to the other.

Any chance you know the ratios in the 61' Minx IIIC gear box?

Steve

Steve,

I'm not sure about the change-over for the change mechanism. Jan might have an idea on specifics or someone on the Hillman Yahoo list. I think it can be done with an Alpine S1 box - not sure about later series.

On the gear ratios, there is a change listed for IIIB to IIIC (also there was a change in main shaft design mid IIIB production). I am not sure if that change would have coincided with the change to a remote changer.
My dad's Husky II is listed along side the IIIC for having the same ratios and it has a remote changer. I think IIIC production started in August 1961 so the one you are asking about would have to be a very early example to be a 1961.

...............TOP...............3rd................2nd ................1st .......REV

IIIB ....... 1.000 ......... 1.392 ......... 2.141 ............. 3.346 .... 4.239

IIIC ....... 1.000 ......... 1.392 .......... 2.141 ............. 3.746 ..... 4.994

FINAL DRIVE

IIIB > 4.44:1

IIIC > 4.22:1

Hillman Minx Series 111A De-Luxe
Special B1000001
B0000001 September 1959
to August 1960
Hillman Minx Series 111B De-Luxe
Special B1100001
B0100001 August 1960
to August 1961
Hillman Minx Series 111C De-Luxe B0200001 August 1961
to
Hillman Minx Series V De-Luxe B0300001
B03500001 1963

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andymurkin/Hillman/Hillinfo/Series3Minx.html#Series IIIC

HTH

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Thank you. That's what I needed to know. It is basically the same 2,3, Top gear that the Series V Alpine has. (Of course, there are the 15" rims versus 13" which will influence rpm/mph)

Steve