• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

high dollar tiger

bluoval

Donation Time
check out the russo steele auctions web site for tigers sold. there is one custom that realy catches the eye..and sold for $125,500 earl blu oval

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Earl,

I don't know if there are two of those "Tiger's" you are talking about, but I think it may be an Alger that cost $115,500. When I saw it, I thought "I have seen that car somewhere before" and I did. Here is where I saw it: http://www.dalesresto.com/gal.html
Have a look at "the world's most modified Alpine". One thing is for sure is that it has been done to a very high standard, with obviously no expense spared. It also has all the Tiger numbers, but that has been done before. I don't know, make up your own mind :confused: . We will soon hear if it is not a real one.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Earl,

I don't know if there are two of those "Tiger's" you are talking about, but I think it may be an Alger that cost $115,500. When I saw it, I thought "I have seen that car somewhere before" and I did. Here is where I saw it: http://www.dalesresto.com/gal.html
Have a look at "the world's most modified Alpine". One thing is for sure is that it has been done to a very high standard, with obviously no expense spared. It also has all the Tiger numbers, but that has been done before. I don't know, make up your own mind :confused: . We will soon hear if it is not a real one.

Regards, Robin.

I havent searched the RS site buit if its the one robs reffering to that car was sold for $125K last year. Also as a note the car is a REAL TIGER. Dale A did the car and then the owner mr W apparently did not pay the rather large bill. Dale did discredit the car given his feeling about monies owed. I heard rumors that it's TAC'ed.. cant confirm that without checking the numbers against the TAC list on norms site.

64beam

Donation Time
I havent searched the RS site buit if its the one robs reffering to that car was sold for $125K last year. Also as a note the car is a REAL TIGER. Dale A did the car and then the owner mr W apparently did not pay the rather large bill. Dale did discredit the car given his feeling about monies owed. I heard rumors that it's TAC'ed.. cant confirm that without checking the numbers against the TAC list on norms site.

Thanks for clearing that up Michael. I would hate to think that someone got stung a large amount of coin for an impostor :eek: .

Regards, Robin.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would also regret to see another unsuspecting buyer get stung with a re-re-bodied Alpine. But, personally, if you're willing to go $125 large without doing your homework or getting a pro to validate it's authenticity you get what you deserve. After all, you can find a very tastefully done MKI or MKIa for under 40 grand.

The Tiger to buy would have been the original MKI that sold on eBay last week. This car was original down to it's radio and tool kit but only fetched $23K. Gotta admit that if it was within 500 miles of Pennsylvania where I could have eyeballed it first it might have come home with me.

Anyone remember the rotisserie restored Alpine that was redone down to every nut/bolt/washer that sold on eBay 2-3 years ago? $23K, wasn't it?

Mark

66Tiger

Donation Time
I don't know that anyone who would pay $125K for a highly modified car like that would really care if it's a Tiger or not. The owner and the builder really sucked all the "Tiger" out of it...all the value and reason for having a Tiger is gone in my opinion. It's not like it's a pristine low-mileage, most-perfect stock Tiger on Earth....then I would worry about the VIN and lineage of the car, and care how my money was spent.

Personally I think it's a really beautiful machine...I would love to own it (maybe in my next life)...but if I was creating something like it I would have started with an Alpine, simply for lower starting costs and not wanting to tear down a Tiger that far from stock (of course who knows maybe it was only a shell to begin with).

Just my 2 cents,
Paul

64beam

Donation Time
I don't know that anyone who would pay $125K for a highly modified car like that would really care if it's a Tiger or not. The owner and the builder really sucked all the "Tiger" out of it...all the value and reason for having a Tiger is gone in my opinion. It's not like it's a pristine low-mileage, most-perfect stock Tiger on Earth....then I would worry about the VIN and lineage of the car, and care how my money was spent.

Personally I think it's a really beautiful machine...I would love to own it (maybe in my next life)...but if I was creating something like it I would have started with an Alpine, simply for lower starting costs and not wanting to tear down a Tiger that far from stock (of course who knows maybe it was only a shell to begin with).

Just my 2 cents,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I would have to agree with your sentiment. Even with the flaws of the standard Tiger, they are a great car. For me, I would definitely choose modifications that could be reversed if required, but I would never give a resto shop a blank cheque either. For the money spent, it sounds like they lost a fair bit on it.

Regards, Robin.