• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Here is an Alpine thats worth a look

alpine_64

Donation Time
thats brian holms car, lots of amazing mods, he was a member on the foorum before the crash, i'm sure we will see him again soon

howard

Donation Time
Nice. One question: The interior is LHD but the MC for the brakes is on the right side. How does that work?:confused:

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I'd have put my money on the rear end blowing up before the gearbox. Regardless, I'll bet a lot of people would like to know how he did it, and if the T-5 is possibly easier/better than the Aussie Supra swap.

A lot of work for sure, but with the HP he is making, the stock trans would have been the first casualty. The second would be the rear end, which he has replaced with a 7.5 inch ford axle IIRC.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I'd have put my money on the rear end blowing up before the gearbox. Regardless, I'll bet a lot of people would like to know how he did it, and if the T-5 is possibly easier/better than the Aussie Supra swap.

I can assure you the mainshaft of the trans will twist or shear before the rear end will die.
The allsync trans is particularly weak since it has a section of small diameter on the mainshaft that the earlier transmissions were fatter (suppose they saved 2 bits in material).

The rootes rear end is surprisingly strong considering the small ring and pinion (6 7/8 inch ring size).

He adapted the T5 using a machined plate between the bellhousing and the motor.

Not sure if he had to do any banging on the trans tunnel, but my guess is that he did.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I do believe he used an adapter plate to mate the t-5 to the stock rootes bellhousing>

Look at the series of picks that comes up when you click on the disc brake shot,

Eric
'62 SerII

skywords

Donation Time
I like hearing the rear end is robust because my plan is to retain the stock rear end with my Quad 4/ T-5 swap. I don't plan on any tire spinning and will enjoy the extra power on the expressways. Did anyone see the crankshaft welding and regrind? Not sure exactly what the point of that is, maybe something to do with the end seals.

Rick

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I do believe he used an adapter plate to mate the t-5 to the stock rootes bellhousing>

Look at the series of picks that comes up when you click on the disc brake shot,

Eric
'62 SerII

He did have to modify the stock bellhousing.

IIRC he needed to do a boring operation so the housing would have an accurate guide for the plate and transmission.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
As I remember, the bad part is he had to do the boring operation to alleviate an off-center condition that is common in Alpines.

Bill

napa 1

Donation Time
In the engine photo section, the photo at the end of the previous engine...what is the header covered/wrapped with?

64beam

Donation Time
In the engine photo section, the photo at the end of the previous engine...what is the header covered/wrapped with?

Hi John,

I was wondering that myself :confused: . It looks like that it may be a ceramic type coating which he has painted or possibly come in a colour of choice. Hopefully somone can confirm our query.

Regards, Robin.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hi John,

I was wondering that myself :confused: . It looks like that it may be a ceramic type coating which he has painted or possibly come in a colour of choice. Hopefully somone can confirm our query.

Regards, Robin.

The material is jet hot ceramic coat.
The color is a stainless metallic.

I happen to own that very header you see in the pics:D

napa 1

Donation Time
Are we talking about the header in the last engine photo that is titled: "my previous motor"? In that picture I'm almost sure it is the header wrap. It has the stainless steel clamps up by the manifold which hold the wrap on.

64beam

Donation Time
Are we talking about the header in the last engine photo that is titled: "my previous motor"? In that picture I'm almost sure it is the header wrap. It has the stainless steel clamps up by the manifold which hold the wrap on.

Hi John,

I think we are talking about different headers. Rootesracer and I are talking about the blue coloured turbo manifold (I hope anyway). I do know which one you mean though. You are right, it is the fibreglass wrap.

Regards, Robin.

napa 1

Donation Time
Ahhh. My apologies, I was trying to figure out the wrapped headers in the last engine photo. Do you know anything about this fiberglass wrap? Thanks Robin.

John.