• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Help

newbysunbeam

Donation Time
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about buying an1963 Series II ALpine. It is complete, body seems to be solid except for rust in Battery box ... paint is good, does not run ... engine hasn't ran in years ... has hardtop .... what is it worth? What would be a fair price to apy for a solid car that appears to need an engine/or rebuild ... brakes .... interior .... ????

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks My e-mail mustangles2@Hotmail.com

RootesRich

Donation Time
If the car is in Ohio as you appear to be, perhaps one of our members can look at the car with you and provide some advice.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Solid, low-rust body beats running engine any day. Although there is an art to perfecting an Alpine engine, getting it running reasonably well is much more straightforward.
Brakes first, clutch, then engine. Trans may have some quirks that you can work around on a short term basis. Electrical will benefit from a thorough connection cleaning, and grounding verification. Interior: seatbelts are a must, and not expensive. Fresh tires, if they're ancient. Then go driving -- it's summer! Use the time to evaluate your budget and options, and prepare the winter workplace. Lather, rinse, repeat...
Plus, go to the Invasion on Labor Day weekend, even if the car isn't running. You'll learn a lot. Folks will share 'what to do' and 'what not to do' in equal measure.

Check out some of the vendors on the home page for parts pricing. Most parts are readily available.

If the car is near Columbus, let me know if you want an observer. My wife promises I won't buy it out from under you.

Ken in Columbus

Armand4

Donation Time
This car seems to be in pretty much the same shape as my Series II, which I bought last August for $2500. I probably could have haggled the price down a bit, but there were other guys trying to buy the car and I really wanted it.

A good, rust-free body is a definite plus, especially if you're in Ohio. Check under the floor mats for rust, too. If there's no rust, good. If the floors have a few holes in them, pretend it upsets you and maybe the seller will knock a few hundred off the price! If the car has been sitting for a long time, you'll want to find out if it was put away due to a problem or whether the owner just stopped using it for some reason. Mine had been sidelined around 10 years ago with a brake problem. I rebuilt the brakes (something mechanics advise on all old British cars) and the carb, put in a new battery and new fluids, and she fired right up! The brake work was time-consuming, but relatively simple. My car's interior is pretty awful, but it really doesn't bother me. Hey, if it really bothers you, you can use an Indian blanket like the hot rod guys do. Most Alpines will have single-stage lacquer paint, which can be buffed to a pretty good shine even if it's seen better days.
Neglect isn't good for old cars, but if it hasn't seriously deteriorated (been left out in a field, had a tree fall on it, etc) it probably won't be that difficult to get it running again. Obviously, you shouldn't take on a project like that if you don't feel ready, but I've had a great experience with my orphan Alpine. Good luck!