• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

help identifying clutch master cylinder and brake

dlivi

Silver Level Sponsor
I have been working on this project that is a series II body with a series IV engine. I would like to confirm what I may have for rebuild as it is leaking by the pedal and .....rebuild or ???? I guess I will know more once off but any help would be much appreciated.... also brake MC id would be helpful...just in case.
Thanks!

pictures attached

one last question if it is a series II should or could i replace with newer MC?

Attachments

• IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 55

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't see the brake master in your pictures, just the remote reservoir. Series 1 & 2 brake masters were 0.70" bore. Series 3 to 5 were 0.875" bore.

I think your clutch master looks like a series 2 master - slightly taller can than later clutch masters and it has the metal slotted cap.

Rebuild kits should work if you don't have corrosion in the bore.

I had my brake and clutch masters sleeved by White Post Restorations. They drill out the bore a bit and insert a brass sleeve. Also replace the rubber pieces and paint the exterior. A bit pricey, but a good option if you want original pieces.

Mike

dlivi

Silver Level Sponsor
Here is a picture of the brake MC.
If I were to buy new MC for brake and clutch any reason i should not go with a later series/models? (this car has many diff year parts....driver ....so don't feel married to original series 2 parts)
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 22

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Series 2 did not have a brake booster. The series 2 smaller brake master bore requires less pedal effort than the larger bore on the later brake masters when there is no booster. The addition of the brake booster on the series 3 to 5 reduces the pedal effort.

I don't know if there is a bore difference between early and later clutch masters. Sunbeam Specialties shows a different rebuild kit for series 1, 2, & 3 up to VIN B9204717 versus the rest of series 3, 4, & 5.

It looks like both Classic Sunbeam and Sunbeam Specialties sell a new clutch master for series 2. Why not go with that if you want new?

Mike

dlivi

Silver Level Sponsor
Got it forgot about the later model boosters....thanks for the info and advice...guess it is time to dig in and inspect!