• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heater motor

seriesIIIgt

Platinum Level Sponsor
l have a series III that has a one speed motor. I would like to up grade to a two speed motor. I talked to Dan R and he said the housings look the same. My housing is in great shape but would be willing to buy the unit together. I don’t want one that I have to rebuild. Thanks Geoff

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Geoff,

Have you gone away from the original blower switch? If not, I don't see a good way to actuate a second speed. I don't know how they did the 2 speed in later cars, but I'm guessing a 2 position switch with a resistor in line with one position. I don't think there were 2 speed motors.

Mike

seriesIIIgt

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Mike
I am building a complete new dash all new switches and gauges and rewiring the car with a painless harness l bought 13 years ago l just bought a 2 speed motor from Dan R that comes with a resistor l all have been getting help with the wiring from Mike H l hope it all works out l can wire houses but wiring a car is a different story
Geoff

mikephillips

Donation Time
As noted, the 2 speed has a resistor attached to the mounting bracket for the motor/housing. And a three position switch in the dash, off, slow, fast with one wire going to each side of the resistor to either use or bypass it. But note that slow and fast speeds are relative and don't expect what you get with a modern car in terms of air movement.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
All I can add to this discussion is DO NOT DROP the fan/blower on the floor.

I did have two good fan/blower assemblies with intent of keeping one for my SIV as a spare. I told Geoff I'd send him one and then while trying to safely wrap it for shipment I did a very stupid thing.... laid it on the edge of the work bench, reached for a box, an it rolled off an hit the floor about 32" below the bench The housing shattered into many, many little pieces.

BEWARE! They are becoming more brittle and they age....Now I have a good spare motor and cage:)

seriesIIIgt

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks again Dan for selling your spare that you wanted to keep
I can not say enough about Dan and all they transactions l have done with him
Thanks again

65beam

Donation Time
Ashley Hinton in the U.K. sells reproduction components for the heater fan including the blower cage, motor and housing. I've bought several items from them and the parts are identical to originals .

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Housing is the only piece needed to make it back to serviceable.

Thanks for the info,

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a housing Dan and a few complete units-will swap towards some more firewood! Eric