• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Head Gasket

snamelc

Donation Time
I'm replacing a blown head gasket in my Series II engine. The new gasket isn't labeled "this side up" nor is it symetrical. There is a water circulation hole on one end that isn't on the other. If the gasket is placed one way, water can get through the gasket to the manifold heater. Placed the other way, this hole is blocked. The shop that re-built the engine chose to cover the hole. Why? Who knows... maybe that's the way he found it. The new gasket has a steel side and a copper side. When the odd hole is placed over the hole in the head, the steel side is against the head. Must water get through the gasket to feed the manifold heater? Which metal must go against the head? Are the answers mutually exclusive? Heeeeelp!

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
All of the holes should align up.
I don't have a gasket here to look at, especially the copper/steel.
Where did you buy the gasket?
Jan

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Okay, I found some with the "top" stamped on the steel side, so copper down/steel up.
Good Luck
Jan

snamelc

Donation Time
Jan:

I got the gasket from Rick so it surprises me that it wasn't marked.

Thanks for the quick reply, and great to have confirmation from PS. I can now proceed with confidence.

I was troubled by the fact that I couldn't figure out what caused the gasket to blow but now suspect it was at least partially due to it being in there backwards. I'm a little disappointed in my mechanic not having caught that. It will be interesting to see whether good circulation through the intake manifold improves my gas mileage. We'll be taking it to SUNI VI in Colorado Springs next summer.

Bill