• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

head gasket leaking ?

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor
newly rebuilt engine ran 5 mins, no oil to rockers, but also top of head gasket had rusty water stains as if leaking along gasket not into cylinders and not past outer lip of gasket, like it wasnt torqued enough.that normal?i drilled 4 holes for better cooling around center cylinder as per the forum.its leaking rusty water stains from a few of them and the other water pass thru's. thanks Roger

RootesRacer

Donation Time
newly rebuilt engine ran 5 mins, no oil to rockers, but also top of head gasket had rusty water stains as if leaking along gasket not into cylinders and not past outer lip of gasket, like it wasnt torqued enough.that normal?i drilled 4 holes for better cooling around center cylinder as per the forum.its leaking rusty water stains from a few of them and the other water pass thru's. thanks Roger
The middle cam bearing MUST be clocked or no oil will go up the oil tube to the head. The camshaft is cross drilled in such a way that it only passes oil to the middle bearing once per cam rev. If the cam bearings are not clocked, the oil port is always blocked.

Your rust/gasket issue is unrelated to the oil problem.

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor
passages for oil from rocker shaft to passage at top of block to cam bearing all dry.Pulling engine .I did find one rocker shaft had end notch pointing up and spun all rockers and standoffs to get notch down.holes in shaft are top and bottom so dont know why notch cant be up also. irrelevant to no oil, tho.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Roger, Sorry but ignore everything I said. I see now that you are talking about a V6, I thought you were asking about a stock (but modified) engine.
I have built a ford 2.8 before but I dont recall the details on upper oiling for that engine.