• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Head bolts

snamelc

Donation Time
What's the conventional wisdom on replacing head bolts when replacing a head gasket? This is on a 1592 engine bored 0.060 over. The gasket blew between 3 & 4 about 5 years after re-build.

Attachments

• Blown head gasket 007.jpg
    Blown head gasket 007.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 49

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow, I never seen one blow like that.
On head bolts there's not much one can do, but clean the bolt & block threads, and check the head bolt washers and the head surface were the washers are compressed. I have seen the washers become dished from so many re-torques. If some are dished you might want to replace them with new hardened head bolt washers.
Jan

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
For what it's worth, I replaced mine with hardened ones just to be safe. Cheap insurance and I figure it distributes the load just a little better.