• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Have you seen a Doctor-no just spots.......

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Howdy Guys,

Not sure if this topic has been covered, but i've been researching the ID marks that Rootes used to determine the diff ratios during assembly.

So far it seems a splodge of paint was placed on the top of the casting just behind the pinion flange and on the 2 series IV Alpines i've checked :

Non OD car 3.89 ratio- mid green colour
OD car with 4.22 ratio- pale blue colour

Also inspected some of our Australian assembled Hillman Gazelles (1966-67) and found a pale pink paint dot on the 3.89 equipped cars. Not sure in this case if they arrived from the UK (CKD) with this ID mark, or someone at Rootes Port Melbourne factory was handed a paint brush.

Whilst I continue my investigations, has anyone else recorded this info already? I'm a bit worried I might be spending too much time in the garage..............:rolleyes:

Lance.