• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington model

65beam

Donation Time
Recently bought this 1/43 scale model .

Attachments

• 109_0713.jpg
    109_0713.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 42
  • 109_0714.jpg
    109_0714.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 44

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob, Nice little model!

DanR

P.S. the first PIC came out fuzzy on my screen. Might be mine, But it you could delete and re-POST for a better view would be nice. Thanks again for the Scale....

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The focal point is off in both photos. It was in the background in the first photo and in the foreground in the second photo. Need photo retakes!

Cool model though.

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
model

The focal point is off in both photos. It was in the background in the first photo and in the foreground in the second photo. Need photo retakes!

Cool model though.

Mike

Instamatics never worked right when they were new.

65beam

Donation Time
model

Bob, Nice little model!

DanR

P.S. the first PIC came out fuzzy on my screen. Might be mine, But it you could delete and re-POST for a better view would be nice. Thanks again for the Scale....

Dan,
photos need resized so much to post to this old site that they seem to come out fuzzy. Durn old instamatics!

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

The console and arm rests for the RHD along with a photo of the steering wheel.

Attachments

• 109_0746.jpg
    109_0746.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 109_0744.jpg
    109_0744.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 29

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
The console and arm rests for the RHD along with a photo of the steering wheel.

Pretty remarkable detail for a model that small. The stitching looks almost like real needle-and-thread work. And the engine turning on the steering wheel? Just as if one were standing three feet away from the real thing.

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

I was about three feet from the wheel. It's amazing how much better the photo is if you don't have to continue to resize in order to post. I bought this wheel in the U.K. a lot of years ago. It's a Les Leston wheel that showed no indication of having been on a car when I installed it on the red Harrington a few years back. I installed a Moto Lita wheel on the red car and this one will go on the white car.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, Either he missed your joke or ignored it! You needed to put a smiley on it :)

Obviously he meant to post this pic in the RHD LeMans thread.

Tom

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
model

My newest model. It might be a fuzzy photo. Durn Instamatics!

Attachments

• PTDC0004.jpg
    PTDC0004.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 18

65beam

Donation Time
model

Better photos

Attachments

• PTDC0002.jpg
    PTDC0002.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 17
  • PTDC0004.jpg
    PTDC0004.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 17

alpine_64

Donation Time
Lack of focus

For those who would like to see what a photo of what sunbeam model looks like where the focal point is aimed at the subject, not foreground or background... Go to the model maker sparks website for the range of sii alpine racing models and sunbeam tiger road cars they currently offer:

https://www.sparkmodel.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Sunbeam

It's a pity they use low quality wire wheels on the models, apart from that they are quite nice.

zoom-1-S4057.jpg

zoom-1-S4058.jpg

zoom-1-S4056.jpg

zoom-1-S4050.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
For those who would like to see what a photo of what sunbeam model looks like where the focal point is aimed at the subject, not foreground or background...

There is an old saying that says " HE WHO MAKES NO MISTAKES HAS DONE NOTHING " . Durn old instamatics !

alpine_64

Donation Time
For those who would like to see what a photo of what sunbeam model looks like where the focal point is aimed at the subject, not foreground or background...

There is an old saying that says " HE WHO MAKES NO MISTAKES HAS DONE NOTHING " . Durn old instamatics !

It's not the camera it's the user. Same as almost all the photos posted at the shows with the cars off center or the front or rear or the car cut off ... On a stationery object..... Lack of attention is the issue. If you take 5 seconds to look at what's in the frame and what's in focus you can get a decent photo.

It's amazing how people keep making the same mistake... Again and again ...

As the saying goes.. "you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink".... So maybe you will never learn.... Or maybe it reinforces that "can't teach old dogs new tricks".. it in this case it's not tricks.. just basic attention to the task at hand... Makes you wonder about the quality of other work

Oh and don't forget a bad workman blames his tools...

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
model

some should take time off from finding faults and make a donation to the SAOCA. Until then----------------------

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Bring a photographer I can offer some expertise on the subject of instamatics. Traditional film cameras had a plate that pressed the film flat against the focal plane with rollers on both sides but people who didn't shoot a lot had problems loading film. Kodak invents the instamatics cartridge and hoped the pressure from the closing of the back panel would suffice. Problem was to keep it inexpensive no rollers so there had to be enough space for the film to slide without the aid of the rollers. Consequently the film wasn't pressed against the focal plane so final quality suffered.

I was in LA a few months ago and got one of the Le Mans Alpines for my collection.

Let's keep the conversation civil guys.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bring a photographer I can offer some expertise on the subject of instamatics. Traditional film cameras had a plate that pressed the film flat against the focal plane with rollers on both sides but people who didn't shoot a lot had problems loading film. Kodak invents the instamatics cartridge and hoped the pressure from the closing of the back panel would suffice. Problem was to keep it inexpensive no rollers so there had to be enough space for the film to slide without the aid of the rollers. Consequently the film wasn't pressed against the focal plane so final quality suffered. .

Nick, thanks for the info on the limitations of the old film instamatic cameras, there were issues with the quality of their image reproduction.

However as I'm sure you understand, that is not the issue with these photos given they are taken on a digital camera. Also the issue is not the reduction of size to post on the site as that can only pixilate the image not change focal point, depth of field and framing if subject.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael, does it always have to turn into a knife fight? Everybody knows you and Bob don't like each other, why don't you let it stop at that? It's getting to be disgusting.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Ok. Being subtle isn't working. This was an interesting string until you two went after it. Let's try this.

I'm not going to tolerate this kind of exchange. So here it is. I'm asking you as politely as I can. Do not engage each other like this again. If you guys can't get past your previous issues I'll ban both of you. Last warning.

I've gotten email, pm's, texts and 2 phone calls from members. It's over.